Monday, April 16, 2007

What I couldn't say.

I still can't write

Someone in my real life died.

I've been wandering the darkness.

Now the sun is rising and the window's gold.

I hear a gunshot, a ceiling fan.

The coffee's cold.

I wish I blogged every day, and was warmer to my friends. More reliable. I wish I had the day to write, read, and edit short stories for the contest I will never win because you can't win a short story contest unless you're perfectly prepared.

Where have I been??

Last Saturday, I took Baby Girl out to eat.

Last Sunday was Easter.

He died that morning.

We went north to my Grandparents and spent time with family. Ate questionable food. Had a nice time visiting.

On Monday, I went slightly off the deep end. I sent Baby Girl away and cleaned.

On Tuesday, they buried him. Gray skies and soft rain. A good day for a funeral.

I wanted to clean again, but the house was spotless.

I baked instead.

The Cake of Death

Two hundred chocolate chips in forty rows of five to serve as the tombstones in snowy white frosting.

I went to bed that night, thinking everything was fine. That the soft rain would stay soft rain, but Wednesday morning, around three AM, I woke up to the loud crinkling sounds of a giant hand trying to crush my house the way you crush an empty Coke can before throwing it away. Along with hail, and a rush of rain. A tornado.

I ran into the office here, and hid beneath the desk while reaching one hand up to the mouse, I got online to check the radar; to see if the worst of the storm was coming or going. It was a few miles up the road. The power went out. My child screamed, Mommy, monsters! and slept in the bed with me for four stormy hours.

I worked most of Wednesday. Finally ran away in the late afternoon. Went back to the library in College Town. Drove past the site where he died...saw tire ruts in the mud, and for the first time on that clear and blinding day, the sun went behind a cloud, and the curve where he died was dark in shadow.

On the hill right past it, the sun returned.

I sat across from a gorgeous man in the second floor alcove, and read Everything that Rises Must Converge.

When I left, the wind was fierce, as always following a tornado, like a ghost of the horrid skies long past, and two black men walked towards me where the sidewalk intersects, and one mumbled to the other, Her skirt's gonna blow up.

I blushed and fumbled to hold down the white billowy bottom of my candy-colored outfit as they watched with a spark of anticipation.

How ya doing, one asked.

My voice broke, and squeaked, Just fine.

I went to see my sister. We talked about his death.

Driving home that night, I looked again, with all the windows rolled down. Trash in the floorboard, airborne, all floating about. The music loud. I turned it down and saw his rusted bumper lying in the grass.

I never knew a boy so sweet. So happy. Always smiling, and excited.

He had a million friends and deserved every one of them.

On Thursday, I took a two hour walk with Baby-bot. She fell and skint her knee. I carried her home half a mile with her bleeding and crying.

On Friday, she sent herself away; begging to go back to the Others. I didn't feel well, so I laid on the couch and listened to the rain and hail, and watched Match Game.

That night, it stormed again. I drank coffee and got online.

While sitting here, I wrote for hours. A big prosed-up story of what I've been up to. Then I thought I'd read everyone's writing, and write lots of email...oh the optimistic dreams of an overly-caffeinated, frustrated writer/blogger/human-being.

None of it happened.

I stumbled off to bed in tears of a sad dark reality. The quiet online existence I can't seem to remedy. And for the sake of still being afraid to sleep knowing he's in a grave, wearing what? I can't imagine. I want to pick up that bumper, bring it home and bathe it. Nail it to the side of my blue painted shed and let the sun shine off it every morning when it rises.

On Saturday, it rained. I took Baby Girl out to eat. It was prom night in Doctor/Dentist town. All the kids were sitting about in formal gowns and tuxedos, and I was jealous. My waiter was gorgeous! I felt old and tired and ugly and fat.

That night, I took dirty pictures of myself.

I felt younger and thinner, but cheap.

Eventually fell asleep, only to have nightmares.

On Sunday, we dressed up fancy and went to the grocery store. Bought lots of food, and a bouquet of red flowers.

At sunset, I took Baby Girl to Mom's house where my sister was staying. They played, while I drove out to the cemetery for my Grandmother's birthday.

I laid the red flowers on her red grave, and stuck a note inside the tombstone.

I wandered about, reading names. I saw an Annie Hall, which made me laugh, but then I felt guilty for laughing while old tired people lay sideways beneath me.

The not-so old, and his bright smiling face.

10 comments:

Mimey said...

"I felt old and tired and ugly and fat.

That night, I took dirty pictures of myself.

I felt younger and thinner, but cheap."

This is poetry. Fine poetry that sits in my heart.

Your cake picture prickled at my eyes. In the good hurting way. Sending hugs and hugs and hugs, and maybe a virtual scrubbing brush because I know the value of therapeutic cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
You always find the right words to say and the right notes to play....The tidbits of your life puts me with you on your journey.

As for your friend, I'm so sorry.

When I lost one of my best friends, god, almost 20 years ago now, I happened upon Dylan's song "Death is Not the End". I've played it many times since....

When you’re sad and when you’re lonely and you haven’t got a friend
Just remember that death is not the end
And all that you’ve held sacred, falls down and does not mend
Just remember that death is no the end
Not the end, not the end
Just remember that death is not the end

When you’re standing at the crossroads that you cannot comprehend
Just remember that death is not the end
And all your dreams have vanished and you don’t know what’s up the bend
Just remember that death is not the end
Not the end, not the end
Just remember that death is not the end

When the storm clouds gather ’round you, and heavy rains descend
Just remember that death is not the end
And there’s no one there to comfort you, with a helpin’ hand to lend
Just remember that death is not the end
Not the end, not the end
Just remember that death is not the end

Oh, the tree of life is growing
Where the spirit never dies
And the bright light of salvation shines
In dark and empty skies

When the cities are on fire with the burning flesh of men
Just remember that death is not the end
And you search in vain to find just one law abiding citizen
Just remember that death is not the end
Not the end, not the end
Just remember that death is not the end


Take care,
Brian

bee said...

oh, my friend. so much to say...know, for now, simply that i'm thinking of you. and sending you lots of love.

bee said...

oh, my friend. so much to say...know, for now, simply that i'm thinking of you. and sending you lots of love.

Anonymous said...

ABC, so sorry to hear about the loss of a friend. Hope the baking, cleaning, Baby bot caring, gorgeous men at the library viewing and dirty picture taking keep the tornados and nightmares at bay. Hugs.

Unknown said...

Ash

'Lovelovelove
Lovelovelove

Me & my friend were walking
In the cold light of mourning.
Tears may blind the eyes but the soul is not deceived
In this world even winter aint what it seems.

Here come the blue skies here comes springtime.
When the rivers run high & the tears run dry.
When everything that dies.
Shall rise.

Lovelovelove is stronger than death.
Lovelovelove is stronger than death.

In our lives we hunger for those we cannot touch.
All the thoughts unuttered & all the feelings unexpressed
Play upon our hearts like the mist upon our breath.
But, awoken by grief, our spirits speak
How could you believe that the life within the seed
That grew arms that reached
And a heart that beat.
And lips that smiled
And eyes that cried.
Could ever die?

Here come the blue skies here comes springtime.
When the rivers run high & the tears run dry.
When everything that dies.
Shall rise.

Lovelovelove is stronger than death.
Lovelovelove is stronger than death.

Shall rise. shall rise.
Shall rise. shall rise.'

Composed by Matt Johnson (aka The The) on the death of his much love brother. I hope you can take some strength in its sentiments.

Give the little 'un a hug to help her through the scary times.

claireylove said...

So sorry for your friend, so sorry for you, dear Ashley. My cousin's funeral was last Tuesday too ~ a punch in the gut to hear it happened to another bright young guy too.

(((Hugs)))

Daibh said...

I want to pick up that bumper, bring it home and bathe it. Nail it to the side of my blue painted shed and let the sun shine off it every morning when it rises.

You should -- transform what others would see as just roadside litter into a remembrance for a fallen friend, something to remind you of his life and his death, and for you, the living, to take solace in the daily shining that is life, and not to be taken by the everlasting darkness that is death before your time. A fond farewell to a friend. I thought it was a noble sentiment you had, there.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

"The Cake of Death" - that is hilarious.

Unlike me, you have other things to do besides waste electricity publishing several times a week for free. Having a kid takes more work than having a dog.

More cake stories please.

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
Hope all is well....take care of yourself and BG and I hope the sky has cleared.....

Brian