Friday, April 6, 2007

A good day is hard to find

I can't write.

I hit a high point last week, and was cruising along, and then I didn't sleep, and it all went away. I got blocked.

I thought a few pictures might help...When I go away for a while, it's hard for me to start blogging again. Like sitting in a classroom, and you're quiet, then the teacher calls on you, and you open your mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. You've been quiet too long. So you stay quiet, and think, I have too much to say. Too much to do. I'll wait till I have more time...and then it's a week and two days without saying a word. Out of practice. I want to catch up, and be close, and hopefully blogging will help the writing.


Reading.

Last Wednesday, the sleepless day, I drove down to College Town, and walked across campus to the university's library. I found the book I've been looking for, on the second floor, and read in this soft-lit alcove. It blew me away...The final line...I'll never write anything great. Though not for a lack of trying.

That night, I slept.

Nothing on Thursday.

Friday, I took Baby Girl up to the Sticksville Elementary while they were out for Spring Break.

She had a blast! All climbing and sliding and running about, spinning on the merry-go-round...


She was red in the face and crying when we left. Playground, playground! she shouted for days.

On Saturday, the power went out for five hours.

We sat at a home for a while, and listened to the lightening and rain. As soon as it stopped, we got in the car. The road was flooded, but we made it to the highway, and slowly uptown.

On the other side of the tracks, there were trees uprooted and scattered on the ground. One was lying on top of a house. One was split in two.


On Sunday, something bad happened. Even worse than a storm, or a possible tornado. Whatever uprooted those trees...this uprooted me, and left me lifeless, powerless, sobbing on the couch. A cop at the door...Tis all I can say. Distraught to the point I sent Baby Girl to the Others so I could think the bad thoughts...Alone with dark clouds, I cleaned the house til my hands bled.

On Monday, I took Baby Girl shoe shopping.

It was the first day I didn't write, or work on my project.

On Tuesday, the bad thing got better.

I still felt cranky, though...still no writing.

A storm blew through, and brought cold air.

On Wednesday, I woke up coughing and sniffling. It was the only day I could go out by myself, so despite feeling sick, I drove back down to College Town.

I bought an Easter dress. A pair of pink high heels.

I tried to write...

Yesterday, I drove Baby Girl to the gas station and bought her some candy, and me an Orange Crush. She asked the woman behind the counter, What doing? The woman said, I'm working, honey. And she handed her a gold Easter egg.

We said Thank you, and took our treats to a nearby cemetery.

We parked and ate and drank and smiled...

I wrote five pages yesterday.

There is pleasure in this life.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, thanks for the link up. : )

oh, the process, the process we call life. it never seems to play itself out in a straight line, does it? i suppose it wouldn't be any "fun" if it did, but sometimes it would be nice, don't you think?

Daibh said...

There is pleasure in this life.

Great line, Ash, such a perfect endpoint in that post. There is pleasure in reading about this life.

Oooh, I loved that you'd found Flannery's collections. Yay!

I loved the Southern Gothic green, watching, as ever.

PWS said...

Good stuff.

Are we EVER going to do an online fun chat? EVER? One hopes.

Hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

loved the last photo. only thing better is the last line. and the two together --- simply wow!!!!!

glad to hear you made it through one - although I know there are many in the season to come - storms. Never a bad idea to be grateful to make it through each one.

hope all else is well. concern is lingering and I'll be hoping things are better than Sunday. Hopefully you'll e-mail when you have a chance, I'm still waiting to hear on the other thing...!!!

Good Friday indeed.

hugs, Heidi

Anonymous said...

i nominated you. come see.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I came her via bee and I'll definitely be back. I know SO much of what it's like to be a mama and a writer and not being able to write.

Mimey said...

Beautiful, Ash. Your writing is always so dignified.

I know that silent too long stuff. More of a real world issue for me.

Hope you're feeling productive and satisfied, honey, and how about a picture of the shoes ;-)

Mimey XXX

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
Your writing always leaves me wanting more. So simple. So poignant. The winds that blow and leaves us uprooted....I know how you feel....

Take care, my dear, and I hope the words flow freely this week.

Brian

Unknown said...

Ash

I make no claim to be a writer of any merit...and I set myself no standards that I feel I must maintain when crocheting the cliches on the music I listen to.

But even then I have days when nothing....and I mean nothing...comes easily to mind, and I find it painful and sometimes difficult to overcome.

I thought this posting was fantastic...I was never sure where it was going and I feared an unhappy conclusion.

But what a killer sign-off line. Made me smile.

Thanks. Again

Gary said...

I always enjoy your pictures.