Friday, April 27, 2007

I call him Jimmy Stewart


After months of listening to my old desktop computer rattle about, and watching it black out for no reason whatsoever, I finally decided it was time to invest in something better. New, and more convenient.

Drum roll please...

I bought a laptop!

Hooray!! Tis an understatement. I've been wanting one for years, but obviously, was too poor, which is fine. It's fun to wait until you can afford something. Not use a credit card. I could have bought it with cash. Not that I'm bragging, of course. My bank account is now practically empty, but all my bills are paid (even the pile of hospital, doctor, and dentist bills). I used the other half of my tax refund to completely pay off one credit card, and make quadrooople-size payments on all my others.

My only problem is, I know nothing about laptops. Am I supposed to keep it plugged up all the time or do I just charge the battery and then unplug it?? I have no idea...

I took it out of the box last night, and then went to bed after cutting my finger on a shard of glass hiding beneath my desk. Was too tired. Started setting it up this morning, and got frustrated...figured I better get online for the first time in forever and start catching up with everyone before I get all lap-top-ish...blogging and writing from the comforts of anywhere! Now just work will take place here in the office. At this desk I've grown to hate.

I'm really looking at this like writerly freedom. I'm not sure I'm still entering that contest I've been blabbing about...but I do have good news...great news! More, more, more...

While offline the past week and a half (or however long it was this time), I had a brilliant idea! Novel three...now I don't have to stumble into this tiny, hot office every morning and/or night to write it! Just lie in bed or on the couch, and write, write, write till my little heart's content. Which is never. So until my little head's content...when I'm published.

(Sigh)

Too much excitement (no matter how self-absorbed) for one morning when I'm actually running a fever and feeling quite sick.

I just wanted to throw out a lifeline. I'm here and alive. Baby Girl is well. I have stories to tell, but as I mentioned, I have been offline...was giving myself time to mourn. ‘Wander the darkness', and all that sadbastard nonsense (which isn't nonsense at all). And once I felt better, my computer got all fidgety for the millionth time, and I thought, Well, it's now or never. I have the money...why not do something for myself?

Very rare and selfish moment...I hope it pays off in a few years when I'm big and famous.

(Ha)

I plan to get myself back in gear (in a healthy way, and health permitting, of course) as soon as I get the new computer figured out. Any advice is extremely welcome!

I did name him Jimmy Stewart, as I mentioned. He's pretty and shiny...my new best friend. :)

12 comments:

Daibh said...

Oh, and welcome back! You were missed! :)

Mimey said...

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I had a laptop so I could sit in bed and type.

Then again I wouldn't know what to do with one either.

Hope the world is treating you respectfully and the words flow painlessly.

Mimey XXX

Anonymous said...

Hey Ash,
So good to hear you're back, and hopefully you and your laptop will have be able to cuddle up for hours and enjoy each other's company.

Have a Great Weekend, ok?

Brian

Drywall Mom said...

Hey, glad to hear that you got a new computer. I hope it is working out for you. Hope everything is going well for you.

bee said...

i missed you a fuckload. glad you're back, that mourning's getting easier, (ish), and that you were nice to you.

oh, and btw, once upon a time, i nominated you for a thinking blogger award, (ie: a blog that makes me think. and cry. and laugh. and feel.) so check out april archives (early) for the postie, if you want to play.

(hugs to you and bg)

claireylove said...

Congratulations!

I hope you and Jimmy will be very happy together ;)

love xoxo

Anonymous said...

You should leave the laptop plugged in.(while using it) The battery can only be charged and run down so mamy times (it's a rediculous amount of times but still)

If you don't use a surge protector I guess it is better to unplug during stormy weather. ...just my opinion

FiL said...

I tried to rewrite James Brown's "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" into "Ash's Got A New Laptop," but failed dismally. My battery ran out - guess I'd better plug myself back in... :)

Congrats! And congrats again on paying off them bills, especially the credit card one. A very wise move indeed. That must be a load off your mind.

Liberation all round!!! :) :) :)

And, of course, a big Hallooo to Jimmy.

Colin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colin said...

I would call *her* Greta :)

But, whatever his/her name, it's bound to pay off in the weeks and months ahead.

x

Ps, change desk? Swop with a kind-hearted neighbour? :)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Colin: Sure I'd swap...you can have my desk. I'll take Jimmy overseas...course then I'd have to buy one of those AC adapter...sounds like a lot of work. ;)

Greta is nice. As in Garbo, I assume?

...

FiL: Thank you...it is very liberating. Now instead of writing in here, I can write on the couch.

Free at last, free at last... ;)

...

Anonymous: Thank you for the helpful advice. :)

...

BB: Thank you. :)

...

Bee: Ha...Love the puckload. Makes me laugh every time I think of it...

And speaking of thinking: I saw the nomination comment right around the time my friend died, so I was all distracted...but please know it meant a lot to me.

I posted about it today.

Thanks for the hugs. :)

...

Drywall Mom: Thank you. :)

...

Brian: Thank you. :)

...

Jemima: HI!! to you too. ;)

....

Daibh: Thank you. :)

The writerly idea died, but as always, another will come along soon.

I hope everyone is well.

Sorry it took me so long to speak up...a new computer takes a lot of getting used to. :)

Lady Prism said...

Congratulations!

Hm' I've never thought of naming my laptop anything..I must think of one...I love bringing it with me when I feel a need for change of scenery. Nice cozy coffee shops are laptop friendly..I plug mine in almost all the time.

Thank you.