Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Self Portrait Tuesdays

Since I'm through with Poetry Thursday, I thought it might be fun to join a different blogging group. I still want that nice, warm feeling of taking part in something, being amongst an artistic community, and having a weekly assignment so my blog is more than just A) long bits of writing, and B) long bouts of silence.

Introducing: Self Portrait Challenge.

It's a site dedicated to the photography of a most narcissistic kind. Which just so happens to be a favorite of mine! [Ash whispering: I'm only joking about the narcissistic part...]

I think self-portraits are hard to take, and damn brave, and if you can look your own self in the eye with a camera, and find what's in your heart and head, and think outwardly while thinking inwardly, and get more balance in your life because of it, then it's art, and not narcissistic at all.

It's life affirming.

But anyway, enough of my blabbering.

This month's assignment is Online Tools. To somehow "create or enhance your image" using different programs.

I use Picasa for all my editing, cropping, and other such pictorial needs.

The following image was brightened and shadowed a bit to help bring out my own reflection.


If I knew how, I would have also cropped out that empty bottle of Gatorade.

...

Self Portrait Challenge consists of a monthly assignment, and you post a different effort each week within that month to reflect said assignment.

The person/people who run it (I'm not acquainted with anyone just yet), pick their favorites, and in the sidebar, there's a bunch of links to everyone else.

My gorgeous friend Claire also participates.

Tis where I found out about SPC, so thank you lovely Claire. :)

14 comments:

Daibh said...

I know of a number of bloggies who do the SPC; I'm sure you'll smoke this one, because you're so good at self-portraiture.

Anonymous said...

This sounds cool. But even better, I like that you left PT for SPC for various reasons, including the fact that SPC reminds me of SDC. And really, doesn't it all come full circle time & time again?? ;)
Happy Tuesday. Heidi

Anonymous said...

crap, i can't figure out how to get my computer on auto-sign in, and i refuse to keep doing it for i hate blogger. but you know who/where i am.

i love spc. i wish i had a digital camera.... you are lovely.

Gary said...

I always knew you were bright, and now you've proved it. :)

Unknown said...

Ash,

I'm too much of a coward to do something like SPC as it's too much like baring your soul.

claireylove said...

Awwwwww ~ everyone likes a shout out and that was a most heartwarming one ~ thank you beautiful Ashley :-)

As for your pic, I love the way my eye is drawn all across the picture, finding it hard to settle on your reflection ~ that's as close to an un-narcissistic self-portrait as you can get!!!

I always love your self-portraits (and yours have always inspired me :-)) and can't wait to get a weekly dose.

love x x x x x

Rachel said...

I've always admired those who joined in with SPC and this is my first week of bareing all to the blogsphere too. I really enjoyed doing it.

Colin said...

Great photo Ash.

I may take up that challenge...

Hope all well where you are, and thanks for your recent comments over at my place.

(especially the 'cake and eating it and asking for seconds' one... that made me laugh out loud)

xx

Kimberley McGill said...

I am so amazed. I ran into your blog browsing some of the pics at SPC. I have ended up reading some of the "dead blog" and all of this one. You are so very talented, beautiful, tender, funny, infuriating at times (how could ANYONE hate you?), and damned smart-- I am hooked. I'm new to this blogging world - twice as old as you are - my baby girls and boy are all grown up. My husband and I live in Southern California (which I don't care for at all except for the beaches and hills)- I would love to return to Mississippi or Louisiana but my health can't tolerate the weather. My daughters live on the gulf coast, my son did live in New Orleans but after the storm has moved to Oregon.I look forward to coming back to read more.

Anonymous said...

There is something about this picture that I find even more beautiful than all the rest!

A. B. Chairiet said...

Daibh: Thank you. I only know of BB who does it...unless you're talking about secret people on secret blogs who secretly take their own picture. ;)

...

Heidi: Yes, SPC...SDC. I've added illustrated links so you don't get confused. ;)

(Sigh) Tom's arm.

...

Bee: Thank you. I wish you had a digital camera too. You could take pictures of yourself, and I'd call you lovely. We could both dress up like classic film stars! Be fabulous!!

Go steal one. ;)

...

Melba: Thank you!

It's so nice to meet you. :)

...

Gary: Thank you. :)

...

JC: I don't worry about baring my soul as much as I worry about people in my real life stumbling across this and saying, Hey, I went to high school with that girl! ;)

I don't think you're a coward. It's brave to keep any type of blog. :)

...

BB: I figured I had plenty of time to be narcissistic later on. ;)

...

Rach: I enjoyed looking at yours, so I'm glad you enjoyed doing it. Tis also nice to meet you. :)

...

Colin: Thank you.

I like leaving you comments, and I'm glad I made you laugh.

As for SPC: You should do it!

Then lots of women will come and tell you you're handsome, and I'll sit on the sidelines and smile. ;)

Also, though, it's fun, and helps you get inside your own head.

Best of luck with it. :)

...

Kimberly: It's so nice to meet you. Thank you so much for the lovely comments, and I'm glad you've enjoyed reading this. Thank you for being so open and warm to me.

I'm sorry you can't return to the South. I hope your health at least allows you to live happily for a long time out there on the west coast, with your beaches and hills. I imagine the ocean is also a nice perk. :)

I look forward to reading more of your writing as well.

...

Letter Four: Thank you. :)

...

Happy Monday, everyone.

Love,
~ Ash

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ash...just saw Tom's arm

oh and the SDC link ;) :)

You're already making waves with the SPC. Way to go :)

Heidi

Spoilt Victorian Child said...

Hi Ash, hope you don't mind me popping in to say thanks so so much for the kind words you left us both.

You're very kind.

Simon
x

A. B. Chairiet said...

Heidi: I'm glad you saw the arm. I hope it made you smile. :)

Simon: I don't mind at all. I'm truly happy for you both. :)