Friday, March 23, 2007

I think I need a new heart


It's still March, and where have I been? Not posting to my blog, or doing much of anything else online. I'm worthless. Except in reality, where I'm busy times a million.

I've been working and cooking and cleaning the house from the blades of the ceiling fans to the stained up carpet and fake hardwood floor. I've been taking care of a certain Baby Girl who was the most monstrous little hellion she's ever been for a week and a half because we weren‘t going for our daily walks. My father had insisted on going with us one night, and Baby Girl got mad. She knows the walk is our special time, and who is he to intrude? She refused to go back out, so I‘m guessing it was pent up energy and a lack of sunshine that put her in such a foul mood that I spent a lot of time trying to cure, and calm her down, and make the best of whatever loud and fussy situation we were in, but she'd yell and cry and scream NO! and hit me and kick me and throw things till I ended up on the couch sobbing in a pathetic, curled-up ball.

A few days ago, it all got better and disappeared like a thick fog had lifted, and now we're all clear. Happy. Playing outside, and balancing our time between work, cook, clean, cartoons, toys, bath and bedtime, and ah yes, my writing.

I've been writing.

So far this year I've completed three short stories. The first one in February. It took me two weeks. The second was also in February, though it only took me half an hour. Two pages. I started it last spring, and never finished it, which I regretted, so while on a writerly high from finishing that first one, I thought, Well, I could at least give an ending to those long lost sixteen pages.

I did, and I liked it.

I wrote the third short story between March 2nd and March 18th, so hence my absence here. Not counting all that other stuff I've been up to, of course; we all know I'm (mostly) capable of balancing an internet life with a real life, but the truth is, this story was so distracting, and took so much of my writerly energy, that I actually felt mentally drained by the end of each day (I write my fiction by hand while Baby Girl eats breakfast).

So yes. Fiction, and lots of it. Writing stories. Not blogging.

My grand total now is two novels, and four short stories. I plan on writing another one after the weekend, editing them, tying the five stories together, and tossing them into a writerly contest, to which the deadline is the last day of May.

I've never given much thought to writing contest. I don't mean that in a bad way; I honestly was unaware of them. Yes, I'm an idiot. Oblivious to the profession I claim to be a part of, or WANT to be a part of...

In real life news:

I did my taxes. I'm getting twenty-five hundred dollars back!

My mom and my aunt and I are going to a festival tomorrow.

I think my sister's mad at me.

I told my father how much I've been writing and how I plan to enter that contest. He got quiet, and said, Best of luck with all that. As if I had just told him I'm growing wings, wrapping my head in tin foil, and flying to the Moon.

We might build a house soon. Talk of land, and borrowing money, and selling the shoebox have been in order. The Others will gladly deed me not only what I'm sitting on now, but a fairly big portion behind it. Though my father also has land to spare, should I want out of this cult-like village and move into town next to both my parents who are neighbors.

I'm not sure I want to live that close to them. Though mostly, I don't want to leave the dirtroads, the seclusion of the backwoods, the big yard, Mr. Junky and Mr. Shed.

A real house, though. No matter where. It'll still be a while, and that's fine. I've got time. Tis only March, and I have a well-behaved child (for now; knock on desktop), a collection of short stories to send out, and a blog I hope of nursing back to health.

10 comments:

Daibh said...

Excellent that you're writing so much; good luck on any competitions you enter. There are plenty of well-regarded contests out there, as you know by now, I'm sure! ;)

I liked your talk of dirt roads, the backwoods, Mr. Junky, and Mr. Shed, and love the Easterly colors you're wearing, blogwise. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Heyyy, a breath of fresh air! Welcome back! Things got a little bland, a little flavorless there for a while, and then you graced us with your presence this morning. Thank you!

claireylove said...

Good luck with the story competition, the house building AND the wing growing moon visit. With a pen like YOURS I believe you can do anything (smiles!!!!)

Love bb x x x x

Kimberley McGill said...

Soooo good to see you back! I was a relative new comer to reading your blog - but I was hooked.
Good to hear you have been writing up a storm and the possibility of a new house sounds heavenly. If I had a choice I would pick the dirt roads too. Take good care.

Gary said...

Nice to hear from you again. Glad things are going well now with the wee one.

Brian said...

Hey Ashley,
I'm glad to hear things are going well. That BG has settled down for now (although that will change a million times over the next 16 years), and that your writing is going so well. I know that whether you win the contest or not, it's good for you to write with a purpose and that you'll do great!

I hope that the house of your current dreams come true...One with a real foundation for you and BG.

Take care my SB

Brian

Anonymous said...

i'm reading, honey - glad you're back...could you send some of that writing pixie dust my way?

explain later.. ugh.

Anonymous said...

Always good to see you, ABC. Sorry to hear about BG & the temporary insanity. Glad it was short-lived. Sigh. Being a parent is not for the faint of heart! :)

Awesome news about the possibility of a home. Really, really exciting!!

Not to mention the news about the short stories and contest. Sounds like a late Mother's Day gift to yourself to. Sounds like you deserve a Mother's Day gift to yourself since you made it through the eye of the BG storm :)

Hugs, Heidi

A. B. Chairiet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A. B. Chairiet said...

Daibh: Thank you. :)

There are lots of contests. Thank you so much for pointing 'em out to me.

I can't wait to talk about 'em...

...

RockenP(or H): I figure my silence is a breath of fresh air! Or will be, considering how much I feel like blogging all of a sudden.

And if I haven't already told you: It's so great to see you out here again! :)

I can't wait to get lost in your writing...

...

BB: Thank you! I'll stick with the contest for now. No wing-growing just yet. ;)

...

Kimberley: I do occasionally disappear for a long time, and then I come back and get stressed out 'cause I'm so far behind and out of touch, and that makes me sad, so I disappear again.

I'll try and stick around this time. ;)

You take care too. :)

...

Gary: Thank you. Me too! :)

...

Brian: I do want a house with a solid foundation...I'm just scared of borrowing and spending so much money. I want it more than anything, except publication (and of course Baby Girl's health and happiness) but it's still so stressful...

I'm not sure I'm ready yet.

Take care, too, my MIB. :)

...

Bee: I'm glad you're reading. :)

I miss reading you...I need to come over to your place and cozy up with your archives soon.

I'll be sure to bring the pixie dust. ;)

...

Heidi: Always good to see you too. :)

The home news is exciting, but I mentioned it a bit premature, since it probably won't happen til the start of next year.

...

I hope everyone is well. :)

Thank you for being here.

Happy Wednesday,
Love,
~ Ash