Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Nothing you can't fix


Sunday, March 4th (My Two Year Blogging Anniversary):

It's been a long bad week, and thank God it's Sunday. Thank God it's March. I love March and all things Spring, green, and Saint Patrick's Day well on its way, and I suppose I'll celebrate, not by drinking, but by building some strange and secret shrine to my beloved Frank McCourt.

I'm watching the sunrise.

Life has been reduced to cleaning, bleaching, washing, disinfecting walls, sheets, crib slats, toys, clothes full of throw-up and "yuckiness", mattresses, toilet seats. Yesterday, I walked into the bathroom armed with an industrial-strength cleanser and sprayed till my little germaphobic heart's content.

It isn't me who's sick, or was sick. In fact, I was lucky not to ever catch it.

Baby Girl, though, she was sick all week, throwing up, and running fever, getting violently ill on herself, or in the bathroom with tears of pain, and Mommy, it's hurts! Tummy hurts!! And me, sitting on the tub ledge, crying myself, feeling her forehead, contemplating a trip to the clinic or the emergency room...I usually regret the latter. It's a forty minute drive, with a two hour wait, just to have someone poke and prod my child, tell me what I already assumed, and then stick me with a nine-hundred-dollar doctor bill my insurance may or may not cover, and if they DO, I always have to remind them of that fact long after the Creditors start calling 'cause God knows the Creditors love my name and number.

And the clinic. We just went the week before, when she was sick with a cold, and fever, and I was sick also, but I don't see doctors unless I have to.

We went to a new clinic. New to us. Out of town.

As I walked through the waiting room with those damn forms to fill out, one fat woman leaned over to remark to another fat woman: Heels shouldn't be that high.

Perhaps women shouldn’t be that fat.

I sat down next to a black man who teased my child by telling her all the chairs in the room were his, and she couldn't have one. She looked at him for a second, then smiled and climbed into all the empty chairs, which were scarce, and surely covered with germs.

He told me she was cute. I agreed.

The black man nodded off to sleep, and two hours later, a skinny white nurse appeared, shouting out a name that only somewhat resembled Baby Girl's. When no one else moved, I looked at the nurse, and repeated the name. She said, I guess that's it. You should spell it with a C.

Yes. Why don't I change my two-and-a-half year old's name so incompetent illiterates can pronounce it. No thank you.

We were sent to another room with other nurses. More patients lined up on the floor in the hallway, coughing. An older blonde woman sat next to me by the scales, and was friendly. I asked her, Does it always take this long?

She said it did.

Another twenty minutes, and skinny nurse reappeared to usher us into a small room with a wooden birdhouse Baby Girl adored. House! she cried, and tried to demolish it with her sweet little fist. The doctor walked in, and my God if he wasn't gorgeous!

He apologized for the wait. Asked me what was wrong. Made a couple of stirrup jokes as Baby Girl tried to play with them. She went back to hitting the birdhouse, and he said not to worry; all kids try to break it. He checked out my cleavage at least ten times.

I tried not to blush. That's the hard part about having a big chest and the fondness for displaying your cleavage: you can't let 'em know that you know they're looking. Otherwise, they'll get embarrassed, and they'll never look again. You won't feel attractive. You won't have the confidence to wear skin tight black shirts, and skirts, and three inch high heels that rival Lauren Bacall's in The Big Sleep.

He told me there was nothing he could do for her. It looked like she was feeling better, but is she got sick again, call him. Give her the medicine I was already giving her, and make sure she drank plenty of water. Did I have any questions? Are you sure??

That was too easy, he said.

We smiled, and shook hands, as his eyes slowly drifted southward.

As for Baby Girl: She was over her cold that very day.

This past Monday is when she came down with the stomach flu. She remained sick until Saturday when she awoke screaming for Cookies.

As any mother can tell you: that's a reassuring sign.

15 comments:

Daibh said...

Glad you and BG appear to have weathered this year's round of sickness.

Well-told words, as ever, crafting a silk purse from the sow's ear of bad experiences, the writerly way!

one fat woman leaned over to remark to another fat woman: Heels shouldn't be that high.

Perhaps women shouldn’t be that fat.


Bahah! Nice snark!

Anonymous said...

this is one of my new fave posts. you know, the kind that will make you probably start talking about your dead blog in the way only you can ;) lol

very glad to hear BG's back to her self again following the yuck! stomach flu

and, some of my fave parts were the heels & talk of cleavage. That will make me giggle & smile the rest of the day :)

Happy 2nd anniversary ABC. WOW. Doesn't seem possible that it started 2 yrs ago!! (Although I don't think I got a golden key until July if I remember correctly)

Hugs to you & the mended BG, Heidi

Anonymous said...

this is the kind of post i fell in love with you over, ash. seriously. every time i come here i just want to get swept up away into your words and world...

Anonymous said...

Hey Ash,
I'm glad the storm has passed, and the sun has come out on you again.

Take care.

Brian

FiL said...

Dearest Ash, that made me feel I was right there in the waiting room with you & BG!! Indeed, had I been around, I would've also helped you mop up. I'm not bad at handling that sort of thing...

On a social policy note, I shake my head in amazement at the US health care system. Having lived in the US, I know the quality of medical care is second-to-none, but only for those with ca$h or sufficient insurance. Having also had the good fortune to live in both the UK and Canada, countries with decent, free-to-all medical systems, I'm convinced that health care should be a universal right provided by the state.

Er, sorry, I'll put away the soapbox now. Forgot I wasn't at www.rantnraveagogo.com...

P.S. You're doing a fine Mother job, just fine!!

Anonymous said...

You are a talented writer,often funny and touching all at the same time. I just have to ask you - were you mad at the women who commented on your shoes because of their comment or because they are fat? Why lower yourself to their level by focusing on their body shape in the same way they focused on your shoes? I think a better answer would be: judgmental,self righteous . . . at least then you are addressing their behavior not their body - and wasn't their behavior the point?

Anonymous said...

Fil... have to say, on a social policy note of course -- having lived in the US until last year and now residing in Canada. Universal health care has just as many drawbacks as the US commercial arrangements. The first and foremost is the quality of care. Don't even get me started on the quality of care. In addition, I don't know anyone here in Canada that doesn't have "supplemental" insurance which costs them in the range of hundreds a month, no different than the US' HMO/PPO tiers. I'm afraid it's not quite as clear cut as you made it. Also, all the rich Canadians I know if they want something done any time in the near year head straight for the border. At least in the US, you can put your mortgage on the line or something to get the care you want. Here, you'll just die waiting (as has occurred on public record more times than I care to know about). Heidi P.S. OK - also off my soapbox here. My husband was born & raised in Vancouver where my MIL, FIL & BIL all still live there and they concur that the Cdn system has a lot of issues as well. You gotta take the good & the bad...and both have both ;)

claireylove said...

***Oh Ash*** some WICKED cool lines in this post...

...glad to hear Baby Girl is better and craving those cookies...

...and ~ Happy Bloggiversary!!! All that greeness goes perfectly with my new spring purse ;-)

love x x x x

FiL said...

Hi Heidi! Indeed, things are never as simple as a brief Blogger comment might entice one to one to paint...

Of course you are right, the Canadian system is not universally public (approx 70% costs are funded by the state), nor is it perfect (I take your point on wait times for procedures). There are issues. But in terms of access to and quality of primary health care, my experience in BC during the year I held no job and had only basic coverage was first-rate.

I've also had direct experience with both systems in the area of cancer care. In a nutshell, my Canadian MIL had first-rate, hassle-free, excellent quality care (most of it basic, some on extended health) for eight years here in Vancouver. In New York my father had excellent treatment, but only because he was fortunate enough to have been able to afford the highest level of insurance available. That said, the bureaucracy involved with accessing that insurance has been monstrous. Indeed, my mother is still wrestling with that hydra nearly a year after his death, and it is driving her to sheer despondency.

As far as the UK goes, there are also issues (e.g. waiting times), plus care quality often depends on where you live. During my 15 years in that country, we used the National Health Service almost exclusively (for both primary and hospital care) in several different parts of the country and were extremely satisfied with how the system worked.

In sum, I agree wholeheartedly there are drawbacks and benefits to both systems. However, I do firmly believe that the philosophical underpinning of health care should be universal accesibility.

Shall we turn this back over to the far more enjoyable subject of Ash's wonderful writing?? ;-)

Unknown said...

A great bit of writing with a happy enough ending. Couldn't ask for more as I head for bed.

Still think there's something wrong with a society that makes you think about money/affordability at a time when you should only be thinking about the well-being of a loved one.

Baby G is lucky to have you Ash. As are the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Fil - agree to let ABC have back her blog ;) and agree that universal health care has some very inticing points including the most namely being universal accessibility.

and speaking of universal accessibility to something, my 2 1/2 yr old has access to me 24/7/365 apparently and he's up from a nap!! ;) There are definitely days I wish I was *paid* a bit more for this gig as does Ash ;)

Happy Wednesday all esp you ABC. Sorry for hijacking your posts :O (I'll lean on the fact that you've seen me around these parts not causing any ruckus ;)) Plus, I'm sure you must know how I feel about your accessing health care for BG or dental care for yourself. Bastards. At least the clinic physician was hot ;)

Heidi

FiL said...

Tee-hee, Heidi! Indeed, parents are 24/7/365 accessible. And the little blighters don't even pay taxes!! ;-)

And as for ruckus, I was the one who made the glib comment to start with, so my fault. But I'm trusting that Dearest Ash will forgive us!! ;-)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Daibh: Thank you. :)

I hope your boys and my Baby Girl are all well and healthy the rest of the year.

...

Heidi: I'm glad you liked this post. I liked it too: which is rare.

And yes, the deadblog...how I remember her, in all her Bogart and prose. ;)

As for the anniversary: Two years ago, at Stuckeyville...reading the boards, then thinking, Hmm. I'll start a blog. :)

I sent out golden keys/tickets when I came to Blogger. What a jackassy thing that was...I had just watched Willy Wonka though, and "I've got the golden ticket" was wedged into my brain.

Thank you so much for the hugs. I'll pass one on to Baby Girl...

Hugs to you and Baby Boy. :)

...

Bee: Thank you. :)

I hope I can find a bit more time, and sweep you away more often.

...

Brian: Thank you. I hope the sun is shining on you, too. :)

...

FiL: Thank you. I'm glad you felt you were with us...tis what I'm aiming for. And thank you for saying you'd help mop up. While scrubbing, I often thought, No one else is going to do this...no use in complaining...just clean it and hush.

Lots of pressure. So thank you. :)

As for the social policy note: Feel free to stand on your soapbox...I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject. And the impromptu debate you and Heidi shared. I imagined you both dressed in debate club uniforms (lots of blue, and plaid), standing at microphones, wiping the sweat from your foreheads. ;)

Or in other words: You made a great point. Thank you for sharing. :)

...

Anonymous: "were you mad at the women who commented on your shoes because of their comment or because they are fat?"

Because they were fat. I hate all fat people. And Yankees. And blondes.

They should all be drug into the streets and beaten unmercifully as I sit and laugh and throw rocks at their fat, blonde, and/or northern heads.

Or if you actually knew me, you'd know that I'm not some hateful monster who would make snide comments to anyone who didn't deserve it.

In fact, if you were truly paying attention, you'd know that I'm a writer, and this was written, and never did I actually speak a word to those two cows. I smiled at everyone else in the room, took my seat, filled out forms, minded my child, and thought the snide comment to myself, latter letting it resurface here where I can say anything I damn well please. Those bitches shouldn't have eyed me up and down (which is what really bothered me...I don't care who likes my shoes or not; it's not what they said, but how) right in front of my two year old child. That's not right, and I hope they choke on their Big Macs.

Thanks for saying I'm talented. I hope you find this comment to be both "funny and touching" as well.

...

Heidi: Yes. Good point. (Ash nodding)

...

BB: Thank you. :)

Horary for new purses!

...

FiL: Yes. Drawbacks. Benefits.

What color should we paint our raft?

...

JC: Thank you. :)

"A great bit of writing with a happy enough ending."

That’s what I am: happy enough.

...

Heidi: "Sorry for hijacking your posts"

That’s perfectly fine. I enjoyed it. And I agree that America should have free and/or cheaper medical providers, insurance, clinics, etc. And as you mentioned: I especially see the need for children, and for dental coverage, which is outrageous here.

"At least the clinic physician was hot"

I know! Now I’ve got a hot doctor AND a hot dentist! If I could just find a hot psychiatrist, I’d be the happiest girl who isn’t happy at all. ;)

...

FiL: "And as for ruckus, I was the one who made the glib comment to start with"

I think Heidi was referring to that anonymous commenter, actually. How people try to make me feel guilty, which makes me feel quiet and sad, and not post.

Or perhaps you did start a ruckus...I forgive you. ;)

...

Happy Monday, everyone.
Love,
~ Ash

Anonymous said...

without a doubt -- one of the best comments ever was your response to anonymous. Hilarious. From almost any angle. Even the one around the fat ladies ;) I actually read it to my husband who stated, "She can write, eh?!?". Which then allowed me to brag about you like you were my younger sister who make somehow make me famous one day when in fact you are just sitting on the barstool over there, Norm ;) Heidi

Daibh said...

Bahaahah -- great takedown of Anonymous. Sizzling snark, served on a heated plate, with a shot of venom on the side, as a chaser. Brava!