Thursday, November 2, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Reciting Lines on a Foggy Morning

A local pond, from my walk at sunrise

While dead, I can still write poetry...toss 'em like bottles filled with scrolls towards the wooden fence of home.

This week's prompt was/is My Favorite Line of Poetry. I am to reveal a line of poetry I love, whether written by me or someone better, and wrap my own poem around it.

The lines I most adore are by Robert Frost; the final stanza from Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.


...

Mile Thick Fog

I walk into the fog of morning
wet grass
the sound of animals and birds
singing and chirping
crickets make violins of their legs

I walk into the fog of daylight
sun shining
casting its rays of gold and orange
to warm the wet grass
and the crickets that play

I walk into the fog of each new day
never knowing
if life will soon end
is this my final moment?
the birds circle overhead

I walk into the fog of evening
sun setting
animals make their bed of dry grass
the dirt where they live
till this day is dead

I walk into the fog of midnight
moon rising
shadows stretch across the land
I lose my way on this cold day
with miles to go before I rest

5 comments:

Mimey said...

Love the quote, the picture and your poem. I'm taking it that as a woman, as a mother, it is too much to ask for sleep, but a little rest, sometime, in the future, that's coming for sure. :-)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Thank you sweetheart.

I hope we both get plenty of sleep and rest...in December, I bet. ;)

Anonymous said...

good idea ladies. Bet on December...not happening in November for many reasons I suppose...

Heidi

Brian said...

Hey Ash,
I loved your poem...and I've always loved Frost. A poet for those of us who are not necessarily poetry fans. The lines you quoted are so evocative. My favorite poem has always been The Road Not Taken...for some reason...hmmm

I loved all your entries that I've just read...I don't know how I missed all these last week...must have dozed off and didn't know it.

I hope your novel is going better, and wish that the week finds you at peace...

Take care my belle,
Brian

A. B. Chairiet said...

Heidi: Yes, many reasons...little rest. :)

I hope you're well. :)

...

Brian: I'm so glad you loved my poem.

The road not taken...yes, I love that one also.

Again, for many reasons. ;)

"I don't know how I missed all these last week."

I wasn't able to post much, what with the novel and all, so I posted four in one night/morning while taking a break. :)

I hope this week finds you at peace, also.

Take care, my man in black...

...

Happy Thursday to you both!
Love,
~ Ash