Thursday, November 9, 2006

Poetry Thursday: How I wish you were here

This week's prompt is to take a field trip. An artist’s day. A date with yourself, then to photograph something poetic. Draw a picture of it. Whatever melts your butter. Then write a poem. Blog it, without complaining of oral pain, how you haven't been online since Monday, and how the hell will you ever win NaNoWriMo when all you want to do is sleep, blog, and complain?

I take a field trip once a week. Unless I can't for some reason (like this week). Then I get cranky. I can't think straight. All work and no play make Ash a dull girl!

The only cure is a day at the lake.

Where the Fish Swim

I sit above them
and watch as they breathe
what chokes me
should I fall in
shining skin
of fins and scales
sunlight reflecting
golden
on each silver face

I wait
as the school grows larger
for the sunset
the heat of the water
soon to fade
bodies turning upright
floating to the surface
where the air is too thin
and the dead fish parade.

7 comments:

claireylove said...

wow.
that's quite a closing line you've got there Ash.
school's out? (couldn't resist)

but how have you got time to write poetry when it's all I can do but scratch around each day for my nano word count? if you got any words spare - throw 'em my way, I could use a few more ;-)

bb x x x x x

madd said...

nicely done..esp the curve you through us at the end...m

Anonymous said...

Way cool poem. A fish parade . . . hmmm.

Mimey said...

I had a moment of fish hypnotism this afternoon when my friend let me feed the goldfish in her room. So full of personality! So numbing. A great poem, honey, chokes me too X

Brian said...

oh to wish for that which the other has....

very nice ashley :-)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Chilling ending to this poem.

A. B. Chairiet said...

Thanks everyone. :)