Sunday, November 5, 2006

Social Engineering, and the proper use of limited time


I was reading the newspaper this morning, waiting for my coffee to jumpstart my mind, when I came across an interesting article, no, not the one about how it turns out there's not plenty of fish in the sea, or the one about how Doogie Howser, M.D. is gay (which is quite surprising, though. I had a big crush on him when I was young), but THIS article here: Euthanasia for Newborns, and the Doctors and medical types who support it.

Apparently, they believe that mercy killing isn't quite popular enough in the newborn society, concerning those who are born extremely sick or disabled.

Why on earth should parents be forced to take care of these less-than-perfect bundles of bane, when obviously the cost and upset would always outweigh the possible rewards one might reap from caring for a human being that was unfortunate in being born into this world where social engineering should not necessarily be more popular, yet merely discussed more actively and openly? So says the article, not me.

Though I do think it should be discussed, perhaps not on the subject of disabled and/or severely ill newborns, those sweet helpless babies who deserve a chance to live, and if they die at young ages, well, then that's nature and/or God's way, so why should we allow them to be killed just because it takes a lot of money and/or love to keep them here and healthy and happy as HUMANLY possible, but on the subject of all society in general.

The online society, for example. How 'bout a bit of social engineering around here?? What if someone were to come along to your blog and say, Hey, Ashley Brooke Chairiet (just tossing out a name for the greater good...tis only an example...cough, cough), you are far too sick in the heart and head, and emotionally disabled, why should you be allowed to live? Why should others have to put up with you? Why should your family be forced to love you? And why don't you just quit breathing altogether, and then maybe, just maybe, the society of Bloggers would all be better off. Perfect, even, without you living amongst them. Constantly saying that you're leaving anyway, and only writing about writing, yet never actually writing, and being a bad friend, etc. We have a whole list of grievances with you, Ash Chairiet, and perhaps you should just bow out now and give us permission to mercy kill you. Think of the blogosphere, won't you? One less selfish, sad-bastard jackass spoiling the whole bunch and giving bloggers, writers, HUMAN BEINGS a bad name.

We sentence you to euthanasia!

Unless you do your part...

As a blogger: I linked the article.

As a writer: I'll say, Euthanasia is a complete delight to type as well as to say. Such a lovely word! Euthanaaaaaasia...

As a mother: I'll share the fact that I actually considered having an abortion (obviously-while-pregnant with Baby Girl). I had just turned twenty years old, and wasn't in the most ideal place to be having a child, yet I could never go through with it. I don't believe abortion is murder, and think all women should have the option, and should I become pregnant again, who knows! But with Baby Girl, I knew she was a girl, and I wanted that girl. I wanted that little human being inside me, to live, and be born, and grow up...but I always felt guilty that I even considered it. I thought God might punish me by making her come out unhealthy, or deformed, mentally impaired, in some way shape or form disabled, sick. "Imperfect."

When she was born, the doctor said It's a girl!

She's perfect.

Healthy. One hundred percent.

Though if she wasn't; if she hadn't been, and they said, Aw no, Ash Chairiet, you've given birth to an imperfect baby, in some way, shape, or form, and we'd be more than happy to dispose of this for you...

I like to think I would have said, No way in hell. Give me my child or give ME death. But no one knows for sure until they're given such a child...and should they feel euthanasia right for them, then I suppose it would be right for them.

It should at least be more actively and openly discussed.