Friday, November 24, 2006

I Come in Peace

Thank God Thanksgiving is officially over. I survived. I hope you did too. Baby Girl is also fine. Sleeping as sound as most two year olds do.

Tis Friday night, a few minutes past eleven, and I'm here in my pajamas, fixed hair and full make-up. I didn't take a shower after coming home from the Others. We went down to the uncle's for a (day after) Thanksgiving dinner. She was good, I suppose. I was not so good. I opened my big mouth and offended the hostess, Baby Girl's aunt.

We were all in the kitchen, empty plates in hand, food upon the island and countertop. There were big metal trays full of meat, and I don't particularly like meat. I rarely eat it, and hardly ever cook it, save for grilled chicken or fish. I asked someone, What is all this? pointing to the trays. Whoever said, That's turkey, that's pork, that's deer, and that's dove wrapped in bacon.

I said (in reference to the dove), Wow, that seems sinful.

[Crickets chirping] Complete silence. Then someone asked, What did she say??

I repeated myself. I said that seems sinful.

Someone forced a laugh, as if I was joking, though I did say it in a joking manner. I meant no harm. Nor to preach. I merely thought it a bit much. I mean, doves are beautiful birds. They're religiously symbolic. Noah let loose the dove from the ark. Tis a symbol of hope, and new life. They’re usually released at weddings, not shot, dowsed in barbeque sauce, tossed on the grill and wrapped in dead pig.

That's sad, and disturbing, and aren't there enough animals to eat already? Domesticated animals we raise for this type of thing. Do we really need to go out into the beautiful woods and shoot beautiful white birds??

I suppose for Easter, we should deep fry blue jays. Mince up a couple of cardinals and robins for a Christmas Day feast. Have hummingbirds on crackers for a midnight snack.

I took a piece of pork just to be polite, and gave Baby Girl some turkey. We walked into the dinning room, and the hostess sat at the bar. Whispered something to the uncle about not wanting to sit in the same room...

Am I that dislikable??

I realize the vast majority of my fellow southerners live to hunt. They’re proud of their prey, and their cooking. They think I'm strange. A skinny little snob that sits on the couch and says nothing to no one cause she doesn't know what to say. They all talk about what a shame it is for the Razorbacks to lose, and I don't give a damn. They swig their beers, and get loud, and laugh over corny jokes. Talk about movies you couldn’t pay me to watch. Gossip. I stare off into space and think about my novel. My friends. My internet life. How I need to do this, and want to do that. And how I shouldn't have made that wayward comment about the dove, and should I just apologize?

Baby Girl played with the closer of the others, while the hostess stayed as far away from me as possible. Sitting in the kitchen with a bunch of her friends. Smoking, drinking. All set for a night of riding four-wheelers. And here I am, hated and ignored, back at home, with Baby Girl bathed and in bed. Me, in a desperate attempt to actually win NaNoWriMo, all set to stay up all night, and write till my little heart's content, dowsed in prose, wrapped in blog entries, and thrown upon the hot coals of those I miss.

10 comments:

Mimey said...

Oh my goodness. I'm speechless. Well, not quite, but yes eating dove does seem a little unnecessary.

Obviously I'm coming from a place that your rather hospitality-free hostess would detest, as I don't eat animals, but even at my most understanding of a viewpoint that is not mine, even at my most open to cultural exchange, this seems over the top. And to be so cut off from sympathy for living creatures that even a dove is simply flying meat that YOU FEEL OFFENDED by someone passing comment, now I am speechless.

I feel for you Ash, I really do, I often have those moments of just not being able to communicate because I'm so cut off from the concerns and lives of those around me. But really, I'm not THAT cut off, that isolated, I do connect, I can, there are those I can reach who are enough like me that I can be ok. I don't want The Sticks to beat you :-(

Gary said...

I think it is called swimming upstream. I used to do a lot of that, but as I gave hotten older, I do a lot less of it now. I guess I have mellowed a lot. Maybe I just decided it was important to me to "fit in".

Hope you are having a nice weekend.

claireylove said...

"Noah let loose the dove from the ark. Tis a symbol of hope, and new life. They’re usually released at weddings, not shot, dowsed in barbeque sauce, tossed on the grill and wrapped in dead pig."

Yes, Ash I did actually splutter at the screen at this wonderful paragraph - in laughter at your ever gleeful wit but also at the horror of the reality of the people you were sharing your holiday with, your life. My, my - how this really happened to you, when I couldn't imagine a more perfect metaphor for the type of hospitality you were offered. I'm with Jemima, praying that you 'the sticks' don't beat you.

For now I'm thinking of your last stretch of nano and sending you words and hope on a wing across the water. Just don't wrap 'em in bacon when they get to you ;-)

Still cheering you on...

love bb x x x x x

Daibh said...

I suppose for Easter, we should deep fry blue jays. Mince up a couple of cardinals and robins for a Christmas Day feast. Have hummingbirds on crackers for a midnight snack.

Haahah! Brilliant! I love those scalding Ashian words!

Poor Ash, though, in the belly of the beast, as it were, the pariah -- like Little Red Riding Hood in the midst of a werewolf convention.

I thought your comment was honest and insightful. Upon reading it, my first thought was "You cooked doves? What're we, Romans??" Just seems like something the Romans would've done.

But I think you were right, and I'm sorry that they made you feel bad for it, left you feeling bad, precious.

Brian said...

Hi Ashley,
I'm glad you at least Survived Thanksgiving.

Sometimes just getting through it is the best we can do with family. It can be depressing that we're actually related to some of these people.

That we actually share much of the same DNA and genes, even though they seem like strangers.

Wishing they actually were strangers so we wouldn't have to spend our time wishing we weren't wasting our precious moments with them.

Hope your novel is going well and wishing you a great week!

Brian

Dan said...

People who are different than you, who have different interests, different values, won't fully appreciate you -- and vice versa.

But that doesn't mean that any of us are unlikeable. From the way you describe yourself, my wife and I would love to have you over for dinner!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to post about the post later. In the meantime, I'm trying to check your word count for NaNo...it's down to a little less than two days left if I'm checking the calendar correctly :O
Hope you...and Noah are well...
Heidi

Colin said...

And how those coals can burn and burn... I haven't spoken to my father in years and even though I despise him (I use that word with thought and caution) I still miss him. But, the chance went - he blew it years ago and that *wasn't my fault* (now I can see this, but only now)... Sorry, what I'm trying to get to here is this: you stay close to those who treat you best and love you and respect you, and you do and say what you must with those that you have to. It's either that or a long goodbye. We search out family in those who know us best - and often blood, biology and 'roots' is nothing to do with it. A true feeling of belonging is worth more than I can afford. More than most of us can afford, in truth.

Daibh said...

Good luck on the finish line sprint, Ash. Kick out the literary jams! :)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Daibh: Thank you. :)

I've been writing like crazy the past week, but I'm almost there now! Thanks again for wishing me luck. :)

...

w.a.fading: I understand. Having to find family in the people who care.

I'm sorry, though, for you and your father. I despise mine as well, but love him despite all that.

I doubt anyone can afford that true feeling, as if they belong. But it's nice to catch a glimpse of it sometimes. :)

...

Heidi: Thanks girl. I haven't updated my wordcount in God knows how long. I was offline for days at a time, so I just quit messing with it. But yes, Noah and I are fine. She's even better, though, cause she had a happy ending. :)

I don't. ;)

...

Dan: Thank you. That's very sweet of you to say. :)

And I understand. People automatically feel out of place when amongst those who have different beliefs and such. I think the best thing to do is to keep a good sense of humor. That way, no one gets mad. :)

...

Brian: Thank you. I'm so glad you survived Thanksgiving too. :)

...

Daibh: Thank you. I'm so glad you like the "Ashian" words. :)

"like Little Red Riding Hood in the midst of a werewolf convention."

That's great too! Exactly.

...

BB: Thank you so much for the flying words, and well-wishes. :)

...

Gary: Thank you. I hope you had a great weekend too. :)

...

Jemima: Thank you. I hope the sticks don't beat me either. ;)

I hope you're well. :)

...

Hope everyone's well.

Happy Thursday,
Love,
~ Ash