Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Last Day


It's the end of November, and the end of NaNoWriMo.

I'm not exactly finished, as far as the contest is concerned, but as far as the novel is concerned, I am, in fact, done.

(giggling)

I wrote a novel! It's almost as fulfilling, and thrilling, and a million other bright and shiny words as lovely as giving birth, yet of course, no where close. Just in the sense that it makes me feel whole. It gives me hope.

I'm finished.

Novel number two for me, though with the first one, I had to go back a month or two later and tack on the ending. This one, though, smoothed itself right into that final chapter. Going gently into the writerly good night one hour ago.

I feel so giddy and alive now! As cheesy as that sounds. It's true. And I don't allow myself to feel such things very often. I'll blush over this later. I'm getting very shy in my old blogging age. I just don't know when to be quiet. I've been extremely quiet here lately for the sake of this contest. I'm sorry for basically being dead. For not being a good friend. It did result in a novel, though, so I guess that's understandable.

I just worry too much. And not today. I'm going to let myself be happy today. My cheeks hurt from smiling, and my hands hurt from typing, my heart and head from writing, but it's worth it. Despite the isolation, the loneliness, and having no time to play.

Today is supposed to be stormy. Ice, snow, and rain. Even a possible tornado. And watch it come barreling through here and eat my shoebox, along with my computer. I better put that novel on a disk and strap it to my side. I can't believe it's finished! I feared this year would be a wash, as far as my writing was concerned. I wasted most the summer, thinking I would write a novel, but could never get past the first few chapters on either attempt. I came back, and thought I'd get all caught up with everyone, but then an unexpected creative rush found me, and I wrote that short story I hope to get published. And now this novel. It's all falling into place. I'm ecstatic!!

I of course breathe a sigh of Ash, settle down, it probably won't happen for you, and you'll only get your hopes up, but still: it's nice to revel in my optimism. As rare as it is.

Off to win this contest...

I hope everyone is well. :)

14 comments:

Daibh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daibh said...

You did it? Awesome!!

Congratulations! Enjoy the moment, savor it. The world needs more savoring! :)

Yay, Ash!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ash!!!!!!! YAHOO!!!!!! I am really excited for you! now if only my mind didn't revert to singing the Dora "you did it" song ;) but I'm afraid it does :(

And I'd take my hat off, but it's cold here -- a brisk 14 F (because you know I'm still a Fahrenheit girl at heart ;)) -- so instead I'll just blink my eyes three times fast as a secret congrats sign!! ;)

WAY TO LABOR & BIRTH NOVEL #2!
Heidi

Brian said...

Wow! Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you and so happy to hear that you're so happy.

So, when can I get a copy of your new novel? Or am I going to have to wait until it's at Barnes & Noble?

Great to hear from you.

Brian

FiL said...

YEEEE-HAAAAAAAA! Fan-tabu-loozie-doozie! That's spectacular.

Must admit that I had put on a pink t-shirt, brown wig, and backpack before seeing Heidi's comment. So now I must think a bit more about what to dress up in for my celebratory serenade... ;)

Well done, Dearest Ash! I'm thrilled to bits. Ooops! Left ear just fell of. And there goes the nose...

Gary said...

Congratulations. It is nice to see you so excited. Maybe you should do something to celebrate. But don't get swallowed up by a white tornado. :)

Anonymous said...

That's SAM-FRAN-TASTIC, Ash.

Many. many kudos to you.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Norm....

Stop over and tell your old J'Town friends what the novel's all aobut...if you want to.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Big congrats on finishing your second novel, Ash.

Really. That's great. Now try not to be so hard on yourself.

Mimey said...

fannnnnntassssstic

You wrote the novel you wanted to write? That's brilliant. Are you going straight into editing, leaving it as it is, or walking away from it for a while? Good luck and congratulations, you did good!

claireylove said...

Feel it - feel it!!!!

Massive congratulations to you lovely woman.

love and hugs

bb

x x x x x

Kerri. said...

Congrats on crossing the finish line! I did NaNo for the first time this year and experienced that sense of "ah, deep solace" once I crossed the 50,000 line.

I've already said I'm not doing it again next year. And I've already thought of a topic for next year.

Hmmm.

Dan said...

it's nice to revel in my optimism. As rare as it is.

I find it hard to believe that such a sweet person like you, with such an optimistic blog, experiences optimism so rarely. But it happens to all of us.

Thanks for linking to my blog. I have done the same! ;)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Daibh: Thank you!

I did savor it for a few hours, then I was sad...finished the contest later that night and was happy again! Then I woke up Friday, and it's been downhill ever since.

Thanks again. :)

...

Heidi: Thank you!

I'm so glad you were excited.

I'm afraid the Dora song is burned into all our minds. ;)

Sorry it's so cold up there in fancyland.

Stay warm, and thanks again! :)

...

Brian: Thank you!

I'm glad you were happy too. :)

...

Fil: Thank you! :)

I hope you can be put back together again. ;)

...

Gary: Thank you!

I celebrated by taking a nap. :)

...

Sarah: Thank you! :)

...

[other] Sarah: Thank you!

I enjoyed being back in town. :)

...

Anonymous: Thank you!

I appreciate the advice. :)

...

Jemima: Thank you!

I'm so happy for you too!! :)

"Are you going straight into editing, leaving it as it is, or walking away from it for a while?"

Walk away from it for at least six weeks. It's always good to distance yourself before editing.

...

BB: Thank you!

Massive congratulations to you too!! :)

...

Kerri: Thank you, and congratulations!! That's great! I don't plan on doing it again either, but probably will every year. :)

...

Dan: It's hard for me to believe that anyone could look at this blog and think optimism. I think it screams Sad whiney little brat. ;)

I'm glad you think so, though. And thank you for calling me sweet, and for linking me. :)

...

I hope everyone's well.

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond...I took off for a week.

Happy Thursday!
~ Ash