Friday, October 27, 2006

Slowly Sinking

Feeling playful, yet lonely. I haven't slept. It's been raining here since Wednesday morning. Gray. Storming.

Sorry for my lack of posting and presence in general: I haven't been online much this week. Busy. Sad. Etc.

I hope everyone else is happy and well.

Just for fun, and fluff, and Friday, I stole the following survey from my friend JVS:

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

My idea of perfect happiness is walking barefoot on a beach with blue skies, blue water, white sand, soft and smooth. Sun setting. Rising. Making love in the inbetween time. Then running home to a big warm bath, and equally warm and big bed with a skylight above me so I can see the stars. Somewhere that isn’t a trailer in tornado alley. With a man who actually loves me, for what’s in my heart if I have one.

That, and being a published writer.

What is your greatest fear?

Never being a published writer.

What is your favorite journey?

The journey from the blank page to the full page.

What do you consider the most over-rated virtue?

Love.

What virtue do you wish you had more of?

Patience.

On what occasion do you lie?

When my head and heart both agree that it’s best and basically harmless. But I don’t like to lie, and rarely do so.

Which words do you most over use?

In real life: No (to Baby Girl). I’m lonely. [Profanity]

In my writing: God Damn. Come. Inbetween. In general. Blue. Green. Sun.

What is your greatest extravagance?

Shoes.

What do you dislike about your appearance?

I’ve come to terms with my outward appearance. I think it’s all right. Not too fond of the stretch marks, though. Or my giant nose.

Which living person do you most despise?

My step-dad.

What is your greatest regret?

Not killing step-dad.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?

What, would be my writing. Who, would be Baby Girl. And in the more romantic sense: the boy who broke my heart into thousands of tiny pieces when I was sixteen.

When and where were you happiest?

In the front yard, at a party, on New Year’s Eve, 1999. I will forever live in that little moment in time when we were together, and just starting to fall in love. Thinking the world was fixing to end, I asked him to crawl into the backseat and sleep with me. When he said no, I loved him immediately.

Which talent would you most like to have?

Singing. Tis a dream of mine to star on Broadway.

What is your current state of mind?

Dark clouds, clearing? Breaking. Something new and exciting on the horizon. A chance to wander through tall grass. Run towards the sunlight. Be warm and happy in a constant state of writer’s delight. Yet my heart is aching. I am lonely. Quiet. Restless on this long and rainy night.

If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?

There’s no answer to this question for me. My family is a lost and broken cause.

If you could die and come back as a person or thing, what would it be?

I’d come back as a cat. Lie in bed all day. Sit on people’s laps. Rub my tiny nose against their cheeks. Be petted. Loved. Fed. Watered. Adored by my owner. Sit in the windowsill warming my sleek black fur. Stare at the sun. Chase mice. Purr while having my tummy rubbed.

What is your most treasured possession?

All my writing and photos.

What thing would you like to have, that you do not?

A real house.

What do you think is the lowest depth of misery?

The lowest depth of misery is helplessness during a time of danger. People cowering in war zones. Children being beaten in their own homes. Kids being shot at school. Families in burning buildings. People on crashing planes. Dieing in pain, with no escape.

What is the quality you most like in a man?

Intelligence. Unless he’s WAY smarter than me, and makes me feel stupid in comparison.

What physical quality do you like in a man?

I like dark hair, dark eyes, kind smiles, big noses, strong arms. Really short, or really tall. Not too thin or too fat. Middle age is nice. They know who they are, and where they’ve been. Not always where they’re going. But that’s half the fun: being with them when they figure it out.

What do you most value in friends?

Compassion.

What quality do you most dislike in a person?

Cowardice.

Who are your favorite writers?

Frank McCourt. Dr. Seuss. Shakespeare. All my blogging friends.

Who are your heroes in real life?

My heroes are Frank McCourt, Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Audrey Hepburn, and Sufjan Stevens. Frank won the Pulitzer. Bogart is just flat-out fantastic. Bacall had the balls to get what she wanted, and keep Bogart on his toes. Audrey was gorgeous, and graceful, and kind. Sufjan is also gorgeous, talented, writes and sings and plays from his heart.

What are your favorite names?

Francis, Tobias, Atticus, and Benjamin, for boys.

For a girl: Juliet.

How would you like to die?

Plane crash. Drowning. Or in my sleep would be just fine.

What is your motto?

Be calm.

Be clear.

Be concise.

14 comments:

Mimey said...

Excellent. I wish you had a (safe and beautiful) house too. You have a compassionate friend here. That's something.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I am happy I glimpsed your sink portrait before you shyly removed it from public view. I was exquisite.

Keep on rockin' in tornado world.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Of course I meant to write "It was exquisite." Beer me.

Anonymous said...

why you little...put that apparently sad portrait back up ;) OK - just kidding.

Glad to see you're here. For some reason when I get these things my responses seem really trite and ridiculous in comparison to yours Ash. Sigh. The difference between a writer and me ;)

Heidi

claireylove said...

Sorry I haven't been around much lately sweetness.
Mostly busy-ness.
Also just feeling down on blogging :-(
I did this meme yesterday too - I guess I'll see you when we're both re-incarnatated in to pampered puss-cats.
In the meantime - countdown to the novel writing, month eh?
I hope yours is full of blue and green and splitting clouds.
I've never completed a draft of a novel before.
I am the baby of the group compared to the tenacity of you and Jemima.
Be gentle with me :-)
But I'm going to do it. I've committed to it and to hell with everything else ;-)

Love to you, beautiful Ashley

bb x x x x x

Daibh said...

The first draft is the fun part, when everything's fun and sparkly; it's revision that's the killer, when the words outwear their welcome!

claireylove said...

but i am a precision poet - i love the editing process!

Gary said...

I think your nose is cute. :)

Rich said...

Too late Ash...we have seen it ! :-)

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

A writer has to to lay it on the line.

Mimey said...

The picture is a killer! It works on so many levels :-)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Jemima:

Thank you! :)

...

Mr. Beer n Hockey:

You’re exactly right.

Thank you so much for reminding me. :)

...

Jasp:

Saw what, my picture?

...

Gary: Aw...thank you. :)

That's so sweet of you.

Makes me feel better. Made me smile.

...

BB: Don't worry about not coming around here much, as of late. I haven't been by your place in a while either...lots of places I haven't been by in a while...just goes through phases: the ups and downs on blogging, and which blogs people visit and when.

In other words: I completely understand. :)

But, I am sorry you've been feeling down. I hope you feel better and soon! :)

"countdown to the novel writing, month eh?"

Definitely! Just a few more days...

"I hope yours is full of blue and green and splitting clouds."

Splitting, as in a tornado, then yes. :)

"I've never completed a draft of a novel before."

I've only completed one. Last year's NaNoWriMo.

"Be gentle with me"

Aw, we will be...and you'll do great!

"But I'm going to do it. I've committed to it and to hell with everything else"

Exactly!! :)

...

Heidi: "put that apparently sad portrait back up"

Done. ;)

"Glad to see you're here."

Glad to see YOU'RE here. :)

I hope you're well.

...

Beer N Hockey: Glad you glimpsed it too.

Thank you for calling it "exquisite."

That makes me blush and smile and feel special.

Thank you.

...

Jemima: Thanks, sweetheart.

I stole this from you, and got distracted from your blog in order to fill it out. :)

I'm glad I have you as a friend.

...

Daibh: I hope you had a good Friday too.

Thank you. :)

...

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Happy Monday!
Love,
~ Ash

Brian said...

Hi Ash,
Very nice...I like the juxtaposition of sexy leather Ash and friendly bookworm high school Ashley....

And I love your idea of perfect happiness....mine too...with, you know, just one change in gender...

Brian

Brian

A. B. Chairiet said...

I think we talked of that once: the happiness in leaving everything behind. All material possessions. Just living in a small house on a beach, with someone you love, who loves you back. :)

I'm glad you like the photos...I thought I'd air my very first avatar, one last time. In honor of my leaving.

It made me smile to see your words...to see you here. I hope you're well. :)

Happy Halloween!
Love,
~ Ash