Thursday, October 26, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Right in Front of Me

This week's prompt is What’s in front of you. What inspires you. Where you go and what you see and how you feel. The words that come forth, straight from your heart and head.

In front of me, I see a bright screen. I see lights. I see boxes and blinking cursers. The proverbial blank page, just waiting to be filled. The possibility of an improvised poem. Not for what Inspires me, or what I see, but for who.

New Cart Smell

I lie in my hospital gown
in my hospital bed
in this hospital room
where the smell of blood
is looming

The day begins outside
noises in the hallway
voices over charts
hanging on the back of doors
the secrets they write

Windows open with slits of light
morning shines
I’m scared to be alive

I hear crying
footsteps
the door swings open
a nurse walks inside
pushing a cart

Four sides
a clear plastic bed
for a baby that's mine

I raise my head and smile
take her in my arms
as she waves tiny fists
with closed eyes
always missing

I kiss her

I whisper:

Welcome to your life

5 comments:

Daibh said...

"Welcome to your life" -- :)

Daibh said...

(translation: I like it!)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Thank you, Davey! :)

I'm so glad you like it.

Anonymous said...

Not sure which I like better, the pic of BG absolutely PRECIOUS or the poem. Great combination.

A. B. Chairiet said...

Thank you, Heidi. :)

Happy Halloween!
Love,
~ Ash