Monday, October 30, 2006

I'm Awake...

In a very strange place. Life is changing, as always, of course, but something feels different. Those days when you awake with a clear head and a full heart, and you know something’s changing, though you're not sure what, but you know not to be scared. To stand still for a moment, and watch...wait...it's changing, and maybe this time, for the best.

I'm in a very strange state. My mind is racing, yet I feel I'm in slow motion. Leaves falling, and Baby Girl rushing past, yet I'm walking the dirtroad in silence. Each step is thoughtful, careful. Quiet. I smile, and my eyes fill with tears because I know something is over. A chapter of my life is closing, and as a writer, I know chapters...I know an ending when I see it.

I know it's time to write another novel. To take it seriously, and be the best damn writer I can be.

Not be distracted. Not be sad. Not be lonely, or wanting, or selfish, or needy. Not be so isolated. Yet unseen.

I'm simply stepping away, climbing over the fence, and where's Ash? someone asks. Everyone smiles and nods, and says, Ah, there she is, walking slowly now, but come November, she'll be running...full speed ahead towards the sunset, through the tall grass. I know. Said Huck Finn, I been there before.

And I miss that field. That tall grass.

Aiming for the sunset.

You've got to catch it, though, while it last. Or else you'll freeze to death.

Novel Land and the field you have to cross, the fence, to climb, the sun, to catch, it's a cold and lonely place. You can't fall. You can't stop. You can't give up at the first sign of bad prose or weak plot. There are living things that hide amongst that tall grass. They will devour you, given the chance. Those little creatures, those monsters, they spawn from our own self doubt. Waiting...watching. Destroying all dreams. Killing all writers, should we stop, or should we fall, our stories won't be told.

...

In my head: all that I just wrote; change, and the monsters in the grass. How I fear them, yet how excited I am for November, and this, my third real attempt at noveling.

In my heart: I am not well. Healing, though, I think.

In my life: I have so many stories to tell...I've been busy, though, and time must be made for telling stories. Hopefully I'll find that time, not only for me, but for others. Those moments when the monsters are sleeping, and I can stop and breathe easy for the chance to say Hi, how are you? I want and need you in my life.

...

One last story on this short and sunlit morning:

I drove out to the Lake again last Tuesday. I parked upon a steep hill to watch the sunset. The lake to one side, a green valley to the other, full of trees, their leaves beginning to change. Fall. Gold light upon their heads, and my face, through the window in the car, I said aloud everything to everyone I was thinking of. Those who find their way into my heart and into my head, and some of them I want there, all of them I need there, and after saying my thoughts aloud, I said to myself, I want to be happy. I want to live.

I want to watch the sunset over beautiful lakes. Clear water. Sitting on wooden boat docks, writing. Excited for novels, and each new day.

I don't want to fall into that valley where I'd surely break my neck. And who would find me, as I'm dieing, but the monsters in the grass.

8 comments:

Daibh said...

Good luck with NaNoWriMo. Use those monsters in the grass, cagee them within a manuscript menagerie, the writer's revenge!

And know that the only failed writer is one who stops writing. :)

Gary said...

Good luck on your novel, and remember to have fun.

Brian said...

I wave as I see you look back and wave in return and continue walking through the grass towards the sun, and I know you're off on another great adventure.

One that you'll be taking on your own, but with many behind wishing you well and keeping you close in our hearts.

I know, now more than ever, that this is a farewell, and not a good-bye.

Fare thee well, Ashley, til we meet again...

Love,
Brian

bee said...

i love this blog. i don't comment much, but i resonate so much with what you've been writing here.

claireylove said...

Come now - it's almost time to dive into that blue ocean of novel - and I'm right beside you, Ash. Thousands of miles away but right beside you x x x

Mimey said...

hope it's going well, honey. XXX

A. B. Chairiet said...

Daibh: Thank you. :)

...

Gary: Thank you. :)

...

Brian: "I wave as I see you look back and wave in return and continue walking through the grass towards the sun..."

I saw that too. But now I'm just sort of standing halfway between the fence and the sun, doing everything and nothing at once.

I'm confused. And lonely.

Thank you for waving too. :)

...

Bee: I'm glad you love this blog. Glad it resonates. :)

Don't feel bad at all for not commenting much. I'd rather people read it and enjoy it, then read and feel as if they have to say something whether they liked the actual writing or not.

...

BB: "Thousands of miles away but right beside you"

Thank you...that made me feel less alone. Less scared.

Comforted.

...

Jemima: Thank you sweetheart.

I hope it's going well for you too. :)

Brian said...

My dearest Ashley, I hope you've made it through the tall grasses, slayed the monsters, and have found a cabin with a dock by a clear lake....how beautiful it would be.

I wish you all the best in your adventures, dear one.

Love always,
Brian