Thursday, October 19, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Avoid the Kitchen, that's where the poems are


This week's prompt at Poetry Thursday is What We Avoid. As poets, writers, people in general.

I avoid myself. The sound of my own inner voice. I isolate myself for a bit of quiet, though the quiet drives me back to writing lest that pesky inner voice grow too loud. My head too full. My heart too empty.

That's where poetry comes in.

It empties my heart, like cleaning the lint trap of the clothes dryer.

While "cleaning", I try my best to avoid A) Ovary Poetry, B) Weirdo Beatnik Poetry, C) Greeting Card Poetry, and D) Refrigerator Poetry.

Example of A :

The life force of my body
Eggs
Something stupid about love and bon-bon’s
All hail womankind!

I have no idea...mush-mash and such.

Example of B :

DeaTH chAses Me
To SEe
what My EyeS hear
The Pain, the pain
OF My Father'S birtH
KillING me
My OWn two Hands
Dieing

[Ash giggling] Again, I have no idea...that one reads a bit more like a sad little gothic kid* who want to slit their wrists and wear nothing but black and eat seeds and smoke cigarettes. Constantly whining and taking up space.

*This form should also be avoided.

Example of C :

Our Love is the brightest
of all stars
in the heavens
shining for eternity
like never ending rings

Bleh.

Love is stupid and should be hated.

Example of D :

I was reading an article the other day on the low standards of the average American when it comes to entertainment. How watered-down and dumb television and film has become. Etc, etc. And came across the phrase Refrigerator Poetry. How anyone (yes, anyone) can "write" poetry with the help of those "delightful" little magnets.

I own a set of them myself. They were a gift, and I'm thankful for 'em. I smiled and thought 'em quite delightful myself. But for actual writing? Well, poetry, to me, is a bit more than magnets on a fridge...though for the sake of this (now slightly wayward) post, here's a fridge poem for you. "Written" by me between four-fifty and five-seventeen of this morning, sitting barefoot on the fake hardwood of my cold kitchen floor with a cup of coffee, my camera, and no idea whatsoever on how to go about creating something of coherence with nothing but magnets, the hum of the fridge, and my heart's inner voice still sleeping.



For the kids who can't read good:

Love Me
Save Me
Interrogate Me
Hate Me

Use Me
Fix Me

Obliterate Me

Okay, so I filled in the blanks a bit. And yes, the third magnet says Integrate, not Interrogate, but I didn't know that at the time [cough-cough, Ash can't read good either].

...

End Note: Ninety percent of this is my joking. I respect poetry, poets, and anything they say and represent (within reason).

I think the only poetry that should be avoided is dishonest poetry. As long as you're telling the truth, not Non-fiction necessarily, but the truth as your heart and head sees it, then poetry is great and should be loved. As long as writing it made the poet happy.

I'm not happy.

I'm ready for November and fictional prose.

11 comments:

Daibh said...

sad little gothic kid* who want to slit their wrists and wear nothing but black and eat seeds and smoke cigarettes.

That last bit had me laughing -- eating seeds and smoking cigarettes! I love it!

Actually, all of your cynical turns re: poetry made me laugh.

What I like to say is that I love poetry, but I loathe poets. Sadly, you can't really have one without the other. ;)

Somebody piled on refrigerator word-magnets on our work fridge. For awhile, folks strung words into poem strips. I eventually took them and made them into a face, like a Medusa, with word-string hair and a scowling face, using the words.

Dam (and Damn!) that unhappiness and channel it for November, precious.

ren powell said...

What a fun read, thank you. I have those ridiculous magnets, too. I get so much cheap entertainment when my kids and their friends leave poems for me to find (my kids and their friends are not native English speakers). You can imagine?

Guess you're referring to Nanowrimo November? Me, too.

Anonymous said...

LOL..this was great I really enjoyed each take on the subject, and the pic, perfect..thanks..m

Anonymous said...

Loved the humorous, cynical take on poetry! Got a smile out of me... thanks.
--Robin

FiL said...

Goodness, I'm just now managing to catch my breath and wipe away the tears of laughter. "Ovary poetry??" Oh gosh, here come the giggles again...

FiL

Unknown said...

I just joined the rank and file of Poetry Thursday and I like your entry a lot. I like the way you are "flexing your poetic muscle" as a teacher once told me, by trying these verses, even though you hate them.

Incidentally, you mention not liking dishonest poetry: the quote on the bag of this month's issue of Poetry, which I can't remember exactly, says something about how fiction is harder to write because it can't lie, whereas poetry is something you can hide the truth behind. I may be misinterpreting a little, obviously the quote, by Merwin, I think, is much mroe articulate. You should Check it out.

twilightspider said...

"Love is stupid and should be hated."

You made my whole day with that. Fantastic entry!

Rich said...

Hi Ash,

Am I allowed to admit I don't like poetry ? It's not my fault my Englis teachers ruined it for me. Put some music to it and I am hooked but without it reminds me of constant and boring over analysis.

BTW, it is grey, wet and dull here, but somewhere out there the sun is shining and that is something to think on get through the dark winter months.

Anonymous said...

Ash - did you take out a personal blog ad? ;)

Oh and by the by (vs way?), I think I've nixed the idea of a blog for the thought of a creative journal. I think I need more "hands on" ;)

Did you think I'd forgotten about the post? well, I laughed through the whole thing -- thanks.
Heidi

Mimey said...

Wonderful post. So much truth and wit, to boot. Parody can be very clever (it can also be highly irritating but I didn't get that here!).

I quite like fridge poetry, I don't own any. Although it is limiting and restricted, so is poetry in any form. I love the restriction of haiku, so why not the restriction of you've only got twelve words that haven't fallen into the grime underneath the fridge.

I'm really scared of Novemeber. I shouldn't be. Babble I can do, and wittering, and gushing, and going-on. Piece of cake. But still I'm scared.

Have a glorious weekend, my sweet, Mimes XXX

A. B. Chairiet said...

Mimey: Thank you. I hope you had a glorious weekend yourself. :)

Don't be scared of November. It's fun...just a lot of work.

I'll be there with you. :)

I'm glad you liked this post.
...

Heidi: No, no blog ad. Just Poetry Thursday and the magnetic drawl of my being a jackass. ;)

As for your not blogging: I'm sad...I was really looking forward to it!

I understand, though. Hands on journaling equals more freedom and peace of mind. The chance to empty your heart and head completely.

Best of luck. :)

I'm glad I made you laugh.

...

Jasp: Hi! Are you home again?? I missed you! :)

And yes, you're allowed to admit anything and everything, even a dislike of poetry. ;)

I'm sorry it's gray and wet and dull there.

I'll try to remember the sun's out somewhere...I hope you'll remember too.

...

Twilightspider: Thank you! I'm so glad I made your day. :)

...

Poet with a day job: Welcome to Poetry Thursday. I'm relatively new myself.

And as for poetry versus fiction, and where a writer can hide: I actually think that fiction is the hiding place, and poetry the clear window to the soul.

Interesting point, though. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

...

FiL: Yay! I made you giggle. :)

Now we're even. ;)

...

r's musings: You're welcome! I'm glad you smiled. :)

...

madd: Thank you! I'm glad you laughed. :)

...

ren.kat: You're welcome, and yes, poetry magnets ARE truly delightful. :)

Best of luck with NaNoWriMo!

...

Daibh: I'm so glad I made you laugh! :)

I remember your at-work poetry magnet story...I thought of it while writing this...our hatred of posers. ;)

I'll definitely be damming and damning come November. :)

...

Thanks everyone.

Happy Monday!
Love,
~ Ash