Monday, October 16, 2006

Maybe it was Utah


Monday, October 16th: the start of another week. Another morning where I sit with coffee and a keyboard, a ceiling fan above me. A clean office I spent five hours cleaning while not working over the four day weekend. Who knew I had so many things I didn't need? Whole stacks of papers, stories I wrote, and smiled over reading. How enthusiastic I used to be! How happy. How distracted by the coffee and the keyboard and the fan.

It's raining out. The constant tapping on my tin roof is making me sleepy. I didn't sleep well last night. Woke up angry. I don't remember dreaming.

I had plenty of dreams Saturday night once I finally stumbled to bed after watching documentaries on sex addicts, and students sleeping with their teachers, and no, they didn't abuse their trust, and yes, they must have sex, they're addicted. I don’t believe 'em but watched like a kid at a sideshow. People throwing knives at other people spinning on wheels, crying. Scared. I dreamt I was walking down a muddy road, alone, with snakes hiding in the puddles, rattling and slithering. Lunging at my ankles. Snakes everywhere! In the grass that grew alongside, falling from the treeline. My father stepped out into the road ahead shouting, Watch out for those snakes, Ash. Watch out for those snakes...

I went on to dream of Baby Girl and I going to a birthday party for another child. After parking longways in front of a house with children all running in the yard full of happy families with gifts in hand, new babies in their arms, smiling over everything, I climbed from the car and unfastened Baby Girl and sat her down, and she was so happy to see the other kids, to play with someone other than me, that she ran into the yard and was laughing, but I told her to stop. Wait. I have to get the gift from the passenger seat. I walked back to the car and was struggling to get the big heavy present and my purse and the keys. I wasn't watching. She was coming back to me, and slid down an embankment into a big moving stream, and I yelled at someone standing closer to reach in and grab her, but they didn't, so I jumped in, and she was fine. Thank God, she was fine! But I had to take her home and get us changed and by the time we made it back, the party was over. It was dark. The families were leaving.

The final dream was of me, walking through a door into a room where all four walls were tall clear glass. Sunlight pouring onto white wood floors. In the center was a stage, and on it, a bed, and on it, my ex best friend, M. Short, thin, green eyes and a big toothy smile like Julia Roberts. I said hi, and we hugged. It was just like old times. Lying in bed by each other's side. Staring out the windows, I asked her, Where are we? She said it was a famous building where they once shot a movie, but it was so old, she bought it for cheap, and would I like a tour? I said I did. Pulling down a folded ladder with a string. She took my hand and led me through a door in the ceiling. We climbed up and out and into the sunlight, onto a flat square with stairs, slides, and tunnels connecting hundreds of other rooftops, all of different colors and heights: the buildings, stairs, tunnels, and slides. We played like the children in the yard until I got lost, and the sky went dark. Separated, I ran, searching, through windows and doors, trying to find her loft but never could. I stood in that darkness atop a roof waiting for the sun to rise. To pass the time, I took pictures of the tunnels and slides. The flash of my camera. My only light.

7 comments:

Daibh said...

Great post, Ash. So many details, so much heart. I loved this line...

I didn't sleep well last night. Woke up angry. I don't remember dreaming.

You could open a novel with that.

Anonymous said...

Ash - 4 day weekends are good. :) Cleaning can also be good. Love the new avatar and the post. [Still hoping to see last year's Nano novel.] Greetings from a snow-covered part of the north! First snow of the year - YIKES! It is October, right?!
Hugs to you and thanks for the dreams, Heidi

Brian said...

Hmmm, now a psychologist would probably find all sorts of meaning to this.

I liked the one with you running through the house and not being able to find your way out or your friend.

Very interesting images and underlining tones with them all....being late to the party after your daughter fell in the creek and everyone leaving....

I hope the sun comes out and you have a great week....

Brian

Gary said...

I hope you have a nice week. And watch out for those snakes! They're everywhere. :)

Bathroom Hippo said...


If there's anything to say, if there's anything to do,
If there's any other way...

Maybe it was Utah.

:) said...

bah..my dream definitely are weirder than yours.

:)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Josh: Really? I have vivid dreams...never weird, though.

I hope your dreams get sweeter. :)

...

BH: Or maybe it was Paradise. ;)

...

Gary: Thank you. And there are a lot of snakes...I see them on occasion.

I hope you have a great week too. :)

...

Brian: I imagine a psychologist would have a field day with me and my dreams, not to mention the rest of me. ;)

I hope you have a sunlit week as well.

Mine's cloudy and getting colder...feeling quiet...

I think another trip to the lake may come sooner than later. ;)

I miss you. And I'm glad you liked my dreams.

...

Heidi: Hi! I can't believe it's snowing up there!! :)

How fun. I bet Josh is enjoying it! Playing outside...that's the best part of snowy days. Kids playing.

I hope you and your whole family are well. Hugs to you too!! :)

I'm so glad you liked this post, and the avatar. Tis my sad little monkey who eats and thinks. :)

As for my first NaNo Novel: Oh, but it's too horrible to share. Tis the worst thing I've ever written.

I'd say the "people" it was based on...the, um, "events you witnessed firsthand" (wink-wink, cough-cough, message board tom foolery...) was far more interesting than the novel it inspired. :)

Let's just think about that instead...

And Cheers. ;)

...

Daibh: Thank you, precious. I'll keep that line in mind. :)

...

Hope everyone has a great day!

...

I'm gong out of town...nothing fun.

...

If you're still reading this, and want a poem to read, I added one for a Poetry Thursday I missed.

...

Happy Tuesday! :)
Love,
~ Ash