Friday, October 13, 2006

I'm outside your house

Looking through the window at a happy family, eating soup, or something from bowls with spoons. Steam rising making everyone's cheeks warm and pink. You and your wife and your kids, and everyone's happy, smiling. Your eyes all twinkle a bit as I lower my head. I walk away. Slowly at first, staring at my shoes making imprints in yesterday's snow. Then faster. Running down the sidewalk with one hand doing what it will, the other holding the letter, folded in an envelope.

You don't want what's inside.

And I won't bother you with it. I won't interrupt your dinner, your life. I won't ask for more than you can give me. I won't ring that doorbell and ask to come inside. Just for a moment, to warm myself by your fire, or at your soup or say nice things to your wife and kids. Oh what lovely things you have, here in this well furnished place with stairs that lead up to the bedroom where I wish you'd take me, but I know you never will.

...

I'm feeling sorry for myself this morning. Feeling sorry for the world in general.

Just felt like writing something.

It's Friday the 13th, and that's always a fun day for writing. Holidays, and other such special occasions usually inspire me. I think I might start a new short story later today. I'm not working. Didn't work yesterday. I had a hell of a day Monday, and Tuesday also, despite going to the lake: I did work until two. And then Wednesday was busy...plus I'm going to be majorly swamped next week. So, why not take off a couple days while things are light, and no one cares? Yes, I'm allowed that luxury. As long as the paperwork gets entered and filed, and as long as I meet next week's deadline, I can take off without any fuss.

I want to mention a few things, and then go back into my dark little corner where Pete Yorn is waiting to serenade me.

...

Yesterday, I wrote about buffets. Seems kind of silly out of context, but I think I can explain...

At the deadblog, for those of you who don't know or don't remember, I had a system that worked fairly well for me almost the entire time I was there: I'd sit down each morning (it was night for the Stuckeyblog, but I switched to mornings to help curb the depression and/or drinking...which yes, I need to do again. No more all and/or late night postings from me...I'm going to bed, and putting the bottle in the deep freeze...I'd sit down, though, and write for at least two hours every day I was online, and whatever came to me, that's what I posted...just a slight amount of editing, and no worries as to how unpolished it was.

I've been too concerned with "polishing." Writing pieces only to save them as drafts, print them out, edit, and deem 'em unworthy for posting. Toss 'em in the trash.

That's not helping me though.

I need to be unpolished. I need to improvise. Be extemporaneous. Less hard on myself.

So anyway...if my posting seems a bit, Why is she writing THIS? Just ignore me. I'm a sad little twenty-three year old who just desperately needs to return to her old system, lest she quit writing publicly altogether.

I sincerely hope no one will mind.

...

I'm going out tomorrow!

There's a big local festival uptown. I go every year. You may recall (again, for those of you who've been with me for a while), last year, I saw the boy I lost my virginity to, and he flat out ignored me. Which yes, hurt my heart very badly.

I'll be going with my sister, my mother, and of course, Baby Girl.

...

Speaking of her, and all that you may or may not remember...a year ago yesterday was the day when she got into my medicine and was rushed to the emergency room, where they wanted to load her up into a helicopter and fly her off to Children's Hospital in Little Rock. I said no, and here we are, one year later.

I think it's safe to say, she didn't swallow those pills after all.

...

I finally made my dentist appointment with Dr. Hottie!

Come early November, I'll get that tooth fixed, and all will be well in my mouth again.

...

And finally, I want to apologize for my whining and bitching and complaining about time, and/or the lack thereof.

It's completely and totally my fault, and I hope to God I didn’t make anyone feel uncomfortable or guilty, or a bane to me. No one is. I am the soul bane to my own little existence. I love everyone else, and sometimes don’t realize how my horrible lack of prioritizing can effect others. And really, that's all it is: I do have quite a bit on my plate (we all do), but it's not so much that I can't handle or carry it. I just lost my balance is all. And as a Libra, losing your balance is pretty much the end of the world for you. It just shuts you down...like all or nothing? It's nothing. If I have a lot to do, I end up doing nothing, and then feel guilty, and then sad, and then I get quiet and fall behind.

It's a vicious cycle.

But I'm working on that.

And I’m happy to say, after venting a bit of my sadness on the Tenth, then running off to the lake and taking off work yesterday and today, and going out with my family tomorrow, I DO feel a world lifted off my shoulders. I feel happy, almost. And relieved. That balance is finally returning to me.

It was just a blip. I blinked. A slight glitch in Ashley's mission of trying to get caught up from the summer...going away for a long time from the standard online life makes for a hard trip back into a normal schedule.

But enough of my whining. Like I said, I honestly feel like I have a handle on it this time, and before I know it, everything will be simple and breezy like it used to be: daily writing, daily reading, casual emails, and MYLO (my life online: a cute little abbreviation I found in my latest copy of GameInformer...yes, I read GameInformer) will be as warm and happy as the family eating soup on the right side of the window.

Here's looking at them...and you. Happy Friday the 13th!

9 comments:

Daibh said...

Soup is good food for thought. I've been buying up cans and cans of Wolfgang Puck's (Puck, precious! Hahah!) soups, because they're so good. I always crave it in the fall, as the chill hits the air, and the wind whips the leaves around.

Glad you're finding balance; 'tis hard to find the time to live a real life and a virtual one, for sure.

As always, your heart shows through in spades in whatever you write -- trust those extemporaneous instincts; they do you credit. Everyone has their own style of writing, whatever works -- what gets the words written = good.

Stay warm.

claireylove said...

And I never had no one ever ;-)

Here's to NaNoWriMo curing that bad editing habit, eh? And yes, beautiful one, I have signed up. You, Mimey and Me, the great unedited novelling triumvirate - top that world!

love bb x x x x x

Brian said...

Hi Ashley,
You know your writing is always good no matter if you spend all the time with re-writes and editing or when you just write from the heart.

Sometimes, I prefer the latter, I think, just because it can be raw and real...But the pieces you spend time with are truly beautiful, too. Just don't put so much pressure on yourself to be perfect. Now, if you are trying to publish, or to polish your writing skills, I'm sure that you would have different goals in mind.

Your writing is so beautiful and powerful, don't stress about it.

Have fun this weekend (and with Dr Hottie!). I remember you telling the story last year about your "first" just walking past without so much as an hello. How strange...but it's his loss, not yours....

Happy Friday the 13th to you too!

Brian

Gary said...

I put a lot of thought into what I post. I admit that I try to entertain others with my posts, but if I couldn't entertain myself with them, I wouldn't bother to have a blog. To me it is all about writing for the pure fun of it. As long as a post amuses me, then it is polished enough and I let it go. Sometimes I go back and read posts that are a month or two old, and they still amuse me. I like that.

Hope you have a fun time this weekend.

Colin said...

I say yes to the eating soup. Once life calms down and time stops still for a dinner at the table. I can bring some crusty bread. And spoons. Lots of spoons.

FiL said...

Yes, one must try, as Depeche Mode said (is that dating me?) to get the balance right. It is a good thing to do. But please don't beat yourself up in the process...

I second Daibh & Dearest Herr Doktor Fading's endorsement of soup. Indeed, Herr Doktor, please bring lots of spoons. I say we all get together and make a big, steaming pot of the heartiest, most scrum-diddly-umptious, cockle-warming, soulful soup ever imagined and share it over laughter, glorious conversation, and faabulous music.

*FiL holds out his bowl in anticipation*

Mimey said...

Well come on in, honey. There's plenty of food and good cheer to spare. Well there's no good cheer really, and I need to go shopping, but you get the idea: you'd always be welcome round here!

Ah, soup. Really nourishes the soul and the psyche. Unlike boozes which just offer a way to escape.

Have I been reading you for a year then? I remember the baby OD. And thinking, I trust your opinion over what's best for your babe. Can't believe I've been around here in the interweb for so long!

Happy saturday the fourteenth, sweetheart xxx

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I thought I recognized you peering longingly from a distance into my soupy house. I recall sharing your wish to join happy families in their steamy houses when I was younger. The people in their family houses appeared to have it all. Why could I not have it all too?

Guess what? Now I have a happy family house. Life is jelly beans. But it is you who have it all in your camera and your pen.

A. B. Chairiet said...

Mr. Beer N. Hockey: I'm so glad your life is jelly beans. :)

I hope it stays happy and warm.

And thank you: I do love my pen and camera...I'm just not so sure they love me back. ;)

...

JVS: I think I will come in for a bowl of soup... :)

We can sit and talk about kids and writing and the internet. Our upcoming novels. And once we were through eating, we can go out and take pictures in public bathrooms.

That's it. I'm coming to England!

See you soon. ;)

...

FiL: I love your idea of making soup together. Everyone talking and laughing and listening to music.

Yes. That sounds perfect.

My place or yours? ;)

...

W. A. Fading: I'm glad you say yes to soup, and making time for it...well, that's the easy part.

The hard part is finding the house with the window, the table, the chairs and the family to fill 'em.

Though friends can fill 'em too. :)

Thank you for the spoons and bread.

It was great to finally hear from you.

...

Gary: Thank you.

And I agree with you...blog entries should be written for anyone and everyone to enjoy, but mostly for our own happiness. :)

I read my old posts sometimes and smile too.

...

Brain: Thank you so much for believing in me, and for being so supportive of my writing. :)

I actually like the "direct from the heart" type pieces better too, but always think people will be disappointed by their lack of "polish".

...

BB: NaNoWriMo...(sigh) I'm honestly counting the days till November! :)

It'll be fun to just write like a madman: no editing in sight.

...

Daibh: Thank you, precious. I hope you stay warm too. Enjoy your soup. :)

...

Fixing to leave the office now...Had to come back in for some paperwork.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
Love,
~ Ash