Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Put it in Writing

I made a promise once, to a friend, that I would write him a letter and pour my heart out.

I never did.

I wanted to, and there have been so many letters since, from people other than him...letters I received and never responded to...letters written by friends who were simply reaching out to me, being nice to me, warm to me, human.

I felt their touch and took their hand...only to let go.

I get scared.

I'm about the most scared little girl who isn't a little girl at all that you will ever meet, or not meet.

I'm real and I'm here...sure. We're all very aware of that fact. And it may seem so incredibly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But who gives a good God damn about the grand scheme of things, for it is only a scheme.

I am more interested in dreams...

The grand dream of things.

What's real, and what isn't, and the line that divides...who can see it, but who wants to see it? It’s there. It's real and it's there. And Thank God, or thank no one...you don't have to be thankful at all, cause it won't go away. It's eternal. And ever-lasting. And just try to erase it! You'll fail.

That line is there for a reason.

It has to be divided, though not clearly, for reality and the dream life need to overflow into each other. It makes reality more bearable, more enjoyable, and our dreams more real.

I'm being awful lofty this morning...that's fine. My horoscope told me that my schedule has become busier than normal and to use the time I don't have wisely. That "if you allow yourself the luxury to explore your own feelings, then you can enrich the quality of your life. It's not that your job can't bring you satisfaction; it's just that by the end of the day, you may want to hide. Give yourself permission to do whatever suits your fancy."

Whatever suits my little fancy...do not hide...allow myself the luxury. The luxury of writing. Living.

Could this be any more perfect a horoscope?? It fits me exactly! And yes, I understand horoscopes are considered a bit kooky these days, but that's all right: I'm a bit kooky these days.

I'm allowing myself that luxury.

And for the life of me, I'm going to write.

I'm going to write, and write, and write. And yes, I want to hide...I want to die. I thought of ripping the cord just yesterday. But after hearing of the death of yet another friend. After reading the final words of the man I never wrote (he's been dead for some time, though only this morning, while checking old links, did I see his final words...and they shook me). And after the return of my wonderful friend Heidi. A woman who has stood by me since we lived in Stuckeyville...though won't we always live in Stuckeyville? Kooky, yes...or so it sounds...but she knows and I know...it's more than what it seems...and she's stood by me even though I've been a fair-weather friend, so distant for so long...I get scared. Adult relationships and friendships, I always think I'm not good enough. I don't know what that means exactly, but writing it down makes me feel better, and if reading it up can make you feel anything...well then my job here is done.

Though it's not done. I'm going to make a promise now.

I'm putting it in writing to make it official, for myself, and for you who care:

I, Ashley Brooke Chairiet, will not kill myself, online or off, ever again. I will not avoid my writing just because I don't like it. Just because it flips my tummy, and causes me such nervousness and anxiety...and when I get nervous and anxious, I will not tell myself, Oh Ashley, you selfish jackass, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things...you don't matter! NO. I will never ever tell myself that again. I write. That's what I love, and why I'm here. And I'm not great at it, but I'm not horrible. Sometimes I might even be good. Most times I'm merely okay. And that's fine with me. I'm twenty-two, almost twenty-three: I've got time. Hopefully. And what else is there but hope? Hope and time and lives to lead. I'm going to lead it, and I'm going to spend the time living and then writing...I get to live it twice: once in reality, and again in the dream, on paper. Here's hoping I'll improve.

Putting it in writing...

This blog, Ash BC, will be here until I am thirty-seven years old...which...someone add this up for me? Is [Ashley biting her lip, trying desperately to do math, which she cannot do: she's honest-to-God numerically dyslexic. Tis why she loves words even more so: they never fail her. Numbers betray her] fourteen years! In a few weeks, I'll be twenty-three, and fourteen years later, when I turn thirty-seven, I'm going to start planning my great escape: once Baby Girl graduates, I'm going to sell everything and give her some money, and kiss her goodbye, and then I'm leaving...

I'm going to start all over. A whole new life! And I'll be whoever I want to be, and do whatever I want to do wherever I want to do it with whomever I choose.

Just try and stop me.

Or please don't.

I'll be here until then. I'm all yours if you want me. Me and Baby Girl. So many of you have become like godparents to her. You're helping me raise her, or, at least watching her grow up...she's yours too if you want her. You can have us both!

Until we start anew...but that’s not for fourteen years.

I promise to not kill myself, online or off.
I promise to quit hiding when I'm depressed.
I promise to write.
Whatever I want to write.
Whenever I want to write it.
And try my hardest not to hate it, or myself.
Please don't hate me either. That's my biggest fear.
I promise to quit being so scared.
I promise to keep these promises, and never let this blog die.

I choose life.

...

End Note: This was somewhat inspired by recent events (for those who know...or just in case you're wondering)...five friends dieing. And yes, just this very morning, I read one of those friend’s final words. He mentioned a post I did about final words*...

It touched me that he remembered. And the fact that I could go back to a blog that is supposed to be dead, but to me at least, still feels warm, and read and be touched by his words touching me about my words touching him...the words he read that are still written on my deadblog that also still feels warm.

That's what it means to be real and here:

We're in this together. Both online and off.

...

*Shelf-life


"It's in the post."

8 comments:

Daibh said...

That's a lot of affirmation to live up to, Ash, but you can do it. Fourteen years? You've got a life's worth of time ahead of you.

Your sincerity and warmth and your wonderful writing keep people here -- stay among the living, the loving, and keep to the writing, because the time spends itself whether you want it to or not, and you might as well spend it doing what you like and love.

:)

claireylove said...

Oh Ashley - plan the escape! But stay alive!

And maybe one day when you're writing-loving-dreaming-being, in the quantities you've wished into being, you'll realise there's nothing to escape from anymore. That's my greatest wish for you.

Hey - it's my greatest wish for me ;-)

x x x x x

Anonymous said...

you know I love you, Ash. Blue blog or no blog, rain or...snow?, promises kept or promises broken. Between the black and white "nevers" and "always" and "alls" there is a lot of grey. Not to mention in my hair ;) (HOW is that possible?? I'm WAY TOO YOUNG for that!!!!)

Hugs and hopes we can talk soon. It'll be great or it'll suck or something in between :) Heidi

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention, Ash...I may be starting a blog and wanted you to know

or I won't (??)

no really, I am :) (I was just trying to work w/ my own comments there...:) )

Nothing as brilliant as your words or photos, but it'd be nice to have a place to leave a piece of me and remember (because you know me & my memory!?!?). That way I can pick them back up later.

Heidi

Bathroom Hippo said...


-Hug for Ashley-

FiL said...

I like your new manifesto. So glad you've promised to stay! I'll stay too, in one form or another, if that's OK.

And so your eyes are on the future - that's grand, good, and so exciting! But I do hope you can live and enjoy the here & now ferociously. There is always something to be gained and understood in the present moment. I actually think you already know this.

You see, looking back I feel much of my time was spent exclusively focused on what was to come, to the detriment of what I could have learned from living in the moment. I'm now trying to get that balance right.

FiL

A. B. Chairiet said...

Davey: It is a lot of affirmation, but without it, I'd kill myself again, and I don't write as much when I'm dead.

As for sincerity and warmth: Thank you.

As for the wonderful writing: That's sweet of you, but I don't see it.

"stay among the living, the loving"

I will.

"because the time spends itself whether you want it to or not, and you might as well spend it doing what you like and love."

I know. You're right. And that's why I'm here. :)

Thanks Davey.

***

BB: I hope your wish comes true...I hope you turn around and have nothing at all to escape from, and are happy with the grand everything of life.

I, on the other hand, will be packed up and driving off into the sunrise come hell or high-water in 2021.

I've had reason to escape since birth.

But I do understand and love where you're coming from. That I might turn around and want to stay...

I hope you're right, but I'd probably go anyway just for the change in scenery. ;)

***

Heidi: I know, and I love you too, and I'm so glad you're here.

"Hugs and hopes we can talk soon."

Definitely.

"It'll be great or it'll suck or something in between."

Ha! Let's hope it's great or at least in between. :)

As for starting your own blog:

YAY!! I'd love that! :)

You could go on and on about your new home and Baby Boy, and it would be great!!

I'll be there with bells on! Or maybe a giant duck suit. ;)

Let me know if you need any help setting up. :)

***
BH: Thank you. I needed that.

Here's one for you...[Ashley pretends to hug BH, but then hops into her old hiding place as he sips his diet coke and laughs at her messing up his sheets...] ;)

***

FiL: "I like your new manifesto. So glad you've promised to stay!"

I felt like someone needed to make that promise, and since I've already had my "suicidal phase", and a brief death, why not be the one person others can count on for years and years to come? :)

I'm sure everyone would rather have a better blogger/blog secured for the next fourteen/fifteen years (I may have miscounted), but oh well. We can't all be Colin Clark. ;)

"But I do hope you can live and enjoy the here & now ferociously. There is always something to be gained and understood in the present moment. I actually think you already know this."

I do, to an extent...

I just like living in the past, present AND future, not to mention my own little dream world. ;)

"I'm now trying to get that balance right."

I hope and wish and pray you will, dear Fil. :)

***

Thanks everyone for being so nice to me.

Happy Saturday,
~ Ash

Brian said...

Ashley,
Promises and commitments have a way of coming back to bite us in the butt, it seems. But, they are still important, I think, for the moment that you're in. We want to think, yes, this is how I want to Live my life. I can see it clearly, and I want to memorialize it, so I can't just roll over and forget it later.

But, then time and obligations and different priorities crop up, and it's too easy to think we failed. But, that's not the case, it may be just a re-focus of what's important. The most dangerous thing is the guilt and feeling that we can't follow through with what's important.

Right here, right now, these commitments are important for you to make. It makes Ashley feel that you will do what's Important. Just no guilt if you decide later that maybe Ashley needs something else. Know what I mean?

Anyway...about the letter that you promised that person. Sometimes the important thing may be that you really, truly, wanted to pour out your heart to this person, and that this person knew that you truly wanted to do just that. That you trusted the person enough to want to do that.....the actual pouring is really of less importance, I think....

Brian