Thursday, September 14, 2006

Poetry Thursday: I am not Myself

Yes, I'm late again on this. I had company on Thursday, and all was busy, albeit fun, in the little world of Ash and Baby Girl.

This week's theme at Poetry Thursday is to write a poem as if you were not yourself. Somebody else. Who am I? Who do I want to be?? It's all pretty obvious...I've had the same man in my head for a long time now, and it's about time I crawled into his.

What Dreams are Made Of
by H. D. Bogart

Tease me with the blonde whore
The money making machine
Throw me in another
Hard boiled mystery

They’d rather have James Cagney

I’m tired of being lonely
A drunken wife
To go home to
Not lights camera action

Behind the silver screen

It’s fading and I’m dieing
One last picture?
Sure why not
Filler up and play it, Sam
This may be it!
My Oscar

Nah, they'll snub me

I don't care
Give me gin
A pretty young thing
To tease me, test me
Keep me on my toes
And knock me off my feet

She’ll whistle in my ear

Read over scripts
Make films
A dream team on the screen
Coming true
Between the sheets

Or would she rather have James Cagney?

3 comments:

Daibh said...

Give me gin
A pretty young thing
To tease me, test me
Keep me on my toes
And knock me off my feet


Awesome verses! Great effort, Ash!

A. B. Chairiet said...

Thank you, Davey. :)

I wrote a much more sappy version a few days ago (first time I ever checked on the theme ahead of time [I like throwing it all together at the last second]) but this way seemed better...lighter. More Bogart.

I like to pretend he was as insecure and doubtful and self-hating as I am.

...

I hope you're well. :)

~ Ash

claireylove said...

I think all brilliant people that are worth knowing have an insecure and self doubting element -
else they'd be too unbearable to know ;-)

(and I must say I love how poet Ash gets to come out and play on this new blog...keep 'em coming)