Friday, September 15, 2006

September Field

I dreamt I went walking through a field where the grass was tall, though not overgrown. The sky was blue, not light blue or dark blue, but pure blue and warm. The sun looked like a giant gold coin. Orange, and covered in tin foil. Full of chocolate, ready to melt to make night's darkness. I sat on the grass as the sun was setting and as it got lower in the sky, I thought I could touch it. I rose and walked towards it through the field. Wanting it so much. To unwrap it. To have it. It got hot though as I got closer. A fence running along all sides kept me from it, blocking me in, though I didn't want to leave. A wooden fence, unpainted, forming a square around the field, though I couldn't tell where the fence ended or began. Where the gate was. I wasn't looking for it though. I was fixated on that shining orange sun. Perfectly round, with rays stretched out into arms reaching for the clouds. Me reaching for it. The green reaching for blue. We were all reaching and shining 'til I fell in the grass and gave up. The grass bent down. The sun went down. The clouds stayed, floating above the fence. It kept on standing as the stars came out. One by one. Little lightening bugs flew around. Off and on. Flickering, though silent. The only sounds were those of crickets chirping and frogs croaking and locus humming in the trees. I didn't want to move. A cool breeze was exactly what I needed after the sun nearly burnt me, and never melted. Never gave way to the sweetness inside. I didn't mind. I simply remember the dream being peaceful, and beautiful, and so calm and natural as if it wasn't a dream at all. As if I went walking outside and got lost in the sky. The sun going away, again to rise, over and over, though the Moon shines too, and I forget that sometimes. I dreamt it, lying in bed, in the field, among tall grass, though not overgrown. I awoke with a smile. Thinking of clouds jumping fences, like little sheep I’m meant to count.

3 comments:

Mentok said...

The unbroken, flow-of-consciousness text was an excellent choice for capturing a dream-like state.

A. B. Chairiet said...

Thank you, Mentok. I occasionally like to write whole paragraphs. :)

claireylove said...

I live for dreams that bring me this feeling of contentment, something warm for me to smile about in the cold light of day.
and then i write a poem about it - the best bit of all, but (alas) the poems are never as beautiful as this lush piece...sigh...