Saturday, May 12, 2007

And that's why people sleep

It's almost three in the morning, and I haven't slept, though not for a lack of trying. I'm supposed to be waking up in two hours to go uptown and work all morning with my mom and sister, and I don't want to, but I don't have much choice. I could say, Puck you, I'm not coming, but then they wouldn't speak to me for a month...or I could pretend to be sick...I was slightly sick yesterday. A tooth is bothering me. As much as it pains me to say it, Dr. Hottie the Dentist may be nothing more than a pretty face. He has destroyed this tooth...filled it, but it's hurting...and it has been for the past three months but I dealt with it. No need to whine about everything, Ash. You whine too much.

I'm tired. May's gotten off to a busy blur of a start. I have Jimmy to do my writerly bidding, though there hasn't been a whole lot of that...just paragraphs here, a page or two there. I keep mixing the paint, but the second I set the brush to the wall, it's too wet...never dries. All dripping to the floor, and I kneel down in some short skirt and I'm all hanging out, and pulling at my clothes, and I can't get comfortable with this computer on my lap...like having a child for the first time and you're trying to balance the paint cans...and you go for the second coat, and your wrist hits the touchpad. You long for your mouse. You try and slide the baby's mouth onto your breast, and everyone's fumbling and tripping about, slipping in the paint you spilt. I'm too tired to clean it up. Too tired to paint the wall. Too tired to sit at a desk. Too distracted to feed my child a snack before bathtime last night, and while in the tub, she says, I'm hungry, and the guilt shoots straight to my overcrowded mind and my blank heart, and my body which feels like someone's covered it in veneer. It's not breathing, this body of mine. The pores are clogged. My skin is stiff, and I can no longer bend. I can't sweat, nor can I mend when cut by toys in the floor I should have picked up, but was too busy thinking of the lack of writing...the lack of blogging, the lack of sex, the lack of longing...and wanting to win a contest I'm not good enough to win, you big ol' whiny chicken. You don't deserve a laptop for writing. And my body's so filled with water and steam, I'm at the point of bursting. On the verge of explosion. Till I learn to rest, and paint, and feed, clean, take care of everyone's needs, and still have the energy for writing, my spontaneous combustion is only a matter of time.

I complain about not writing 'cause you can't paint a wall white if the wall is black. When I haven't been writing, my wall is the darkest black your well-rested mind can imagine. Meanwhile, I pull out those paint cans, and the white is just waiting...if I have been writing, then the wall has been stripped and primed, and I can live my real life without the distraction of sporadic nagging from my mental insides..."Ash, oh Ash...what about this for a title, and this for that, and characters and metaphors...better make a note, Ash. A to-do list. Blog entries. Emails. A short story. Why don't you edit? You'll never be nothing, you're a waste, and you whine...and whine...and sleep, no don't sleep! You're tired, but the insides of the insides of your mind want to write, and you'll be uptown in a few hours with people swarming about the unpainted tables covered with clothes that smell like the insides of an unpacked suitcase from a trip you took six months ago."

I need some sleep.

I need to relax.

I’m packed! Like I've been taking trips, and trips, and once I'm home, I'm gone again...a quick nap...no time to unpack...the clothes stay in and in, and there's no room for more until I finally empty everything out onto the floor...will you help me sort through it? You well-rested, smiling faces...happy families on weekends where daddies are home and mommies are resting, and all the planned-for children are lying on bunk beds well-fed.

I smell camp. So hence the bunk beds...the suitcase brought it back. Being away for a week up north, a vacation from my loud sleepless house...a week with Jesus, and Jesus fanatics. A week with singing, and praying, and cafeteria food so lousy, we ate Chips Ahoy! in our room...on bunk beds. On sleeping bags. Musty pillows. The concrete floors...at night, we stood in long lines with our eyes closed and the people on microphones would say over and over, Let Jesus in your heart, let Him in, He wants in...like some kid locked out of the house when his parents aren't home. He sits down on the sidewalk, and he waits till they drive up from work, and his stomach is growling, and what the hell are you doing on the porch, Jesus? Why aren't you inside, in this house, in your room, all alone? You don't need anyone, Jesus...you don't need happy, restful weekends...you don't need concrete floors...you don't even need to sleep at night, don't you know that, Jesus? You're insides are black with the lack of unpacking. Knock, knock...do you hear Him? He's starving at your door.

I can't sleep anymore...or avoid my writing. I'm not sure what the hell happened with that contest...It was the first thing I wanted in so long, and I swore I'd work my ass off to get it...really write with every word as loud and bright as it could get! But no...I backed down. I got distracted...I wanted something else.

I'm running out of steam. My paintjob is flimsy. The walls look like they've been painted with milk: all thin and watery.

Every day, I plan to set aside some time for myself, but after everything else I do, I'm exhausted by the time it's night, and the baby's in bed...and I'm in my own bed, and if I sleep till she wakes up, then it's right back into where we left off...over and over and over and over, and we never unpack, it seems. Just routine, schedule, work, chores, meals, baths, sleep...no sleep. If I'm lucky, a dream.

I don't want to go tomorrow...I've been so busy, I was hoping to stay home, and rest, and spend time with my child...and then at bedtime, I'd either go to bed and wake up early and write, or stay up late and write. Then sleep in.

I'm so off balance, encased in veneer...I'm suffocating here with my unpacked mind...I fed her muffins at bedtime while I read silly stories. The delay; my head returning to its rightful place. I took my own bath, and washed my hair, put away the laundry, and crawled into bed and read to myself, and then I just laid there...a child on a bunk bed, watching the milk dry. I smell expiration...no, I smell shampoo...it isn't black, it's white, it's black. It isn't night. It's morning. Hours until I go to work for the poor who will swarm, and Jesus he's knocking at nobody's door, because Jesus is sleeping. His people are sleeping. I got veneered with open eyes. Preserved in the state of constant waking. That moment when you don’t know where you are, or how long you’ve been gone. What did you dream? Was it real, was it sweet? Your eyes blink to focus on my tired routine.

15 comments:

Mimey said...

Darling, this is a beautiful prose poem, or something. You're very hard on yourself, it's tough, I know, so often you write what I'm thinking and I look at you all the way over there and think 'stop being hard on yourself' and look at me, sitting here, and think 'but you're a loser Mima so shut up'.

Thank you once more for feeding me a fragrant slice of your world.

And have some hugs, coz when I haven't slept I become very fragile, weepy and in need of hugs.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I felt swirled and twirled all around in the room making my way around paint cans and clothes strewn about but I'm certain that I'll read it several more times this weekend. A brilliant example of writing = tired. Thanks as always for a glimpse, Ash. Heidi

Unknown said...

"You'll never be nothing, you're a waste...."

I have to disagree, almost to the point of violence, on the at line.

You're already more than most.

FiL said...

Oh my, that was something else. I was there, swaying to Jesus, unslept, sloshing in paint, sniffing suitcaes (and they DO have a particular odour, do they not??).

And for unfathomable (at least to me) reasons I was up until 3AM myself this morning.

Finally, if it ain't too trite, Happy Mother's Day, Dearest Ash!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ashley B. Chairiet,
Being pulled in so many directions...with so much to do....and so much you want to do....and just not enough time to do it all....so you shut down and feel darkness and loneliness.

You have such a pure heart and your intentions are so true. But, I think you need to simplify and put away some of that you’ve packed into storage. A place away from home that you can visit whenever you want, but you don’t have to look at or fret about in the middle of the night.

Only you can decide what you really need and what you just wish you could do.

Simplify and let everything else go. A hard decision, but it’s for your peace of mind....there’s only so much any of us can do.

Do that which clears away the worry in your life and leave the rest put away for another day.

Please be easy on yourself, I’ll understand if there are other things you Need to do, even if it means you leave me or us behind for a time.

Here’s to a good week and some white paint in a small corner of your world.

Brian

Daibh said...

the guilt shoots straight to my overcrowded mind and my blank heart

Awesome line, as evocative as your whole post. You're easily good enough for that contest, for sure. There's still time, right? It's not a matter of being worthy of it; it's taking it -- you see, you come, you conquer.

They're waiting for you; they won't even know until you hit them with your wonderful words. Don't fret mixes of writerly paints, of prosaic veneers; just grab brushes, grab cans, and have at it.

A. B. Chairiet said...

Daibh: Such an Aries approach... ;)

Just grab the brushes...I do, I think, but it's a tiny brush for a giant room...needs lots of time and energy...like cutting the grass of a football field with a pair of tweezers.

I see, I come, I conquer, huh? ;)

Love that...

And as for the contest: Yeah, I'm sure there's still time.

...

Brian: You're right...I do need to simplify. But I’m never sure what should stay, and what should be cut...I'm so bad about changing my mind, and MAKING time to simplify...it's like I'm too busy to get un-busy. ;)

I hope you have a great week, too. :)

...

FiL: It's not trite at all...thank you for saying it. :)

...

JC: No need to get violent. ;)

That's just how I felt. :)

...

Heidi: I'm so glad to hear from you! :)

Glad you loved this post.

I hope you're doing well. :)

...

Jemima: Thank you...I did get a bit weepy later in the day, though not from the lack of sleep. I always kind of enjoy those sleepless days...it's amusing to watch everyone else...

But if I don't get my ass to bed soon, I'll be doing it again today.

You're not a loser.

Maybe we're both too hard on ourselves. :)

...

I hope everyone is well. :)

I fiddled with the template a bit...couldn't sleep but didn't feel like writing or reading. Too headachey.

Happy Tuesday!
Love,
~ Ash

Anonymous said...

love the new heading, or whatever you call it in blogger land and elsewhere :) :) Heidi

bee said...

i can't offer advice or anything like that. but i loved this post and i'm sending you hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ash,
Hope all is well and your week is off to a good start.

Just noticed your new picture up there ^ and you look great! Seems to me you've changed in the time I've known you. I know we all do and we all have. And of course, when we first met, you were using your "silly Ashley" picture with you in glasses from your high school years. I guess that might explain the change from then til now. Anyway, it's nice to see your smiling face :-)

Brian

A. B. Chairiet said...

Brian: Everything's fine.

That picture of me in the glasses was taken six years ago, so that would probably explain the change...I've gotta age too, I suppose. ;)

I hope you have a good week, also. :)

...

Bee: That's okay. I like it when people just say whether something was good or not, and then hug me, because by the time I get online again, any advice is (usually) in reference to something that's already passed.

Hugs to you too. :)

...

Heidi: Thanks! I'm glad you love it. It is called a heading, or a header, or a banner.

I hope you're well. :)

...

Happy Tuesday, everyone.

Love,
~ Ash

bee said...

hey ash, you wanna email with me?

you inspired me to start writing on that blog again...you're the only person who's found it. lol.

it needs a new name though. i can't figure out how to rename the damn thing.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Uh... I kinda gotta tag you with this silly inter-blogger thing that comes around every so often. It's the ever-popular "Write six weird things about yourself then tag six others" bit. I'm supposed to direct you to www.rocketteer.blogspot.com and you're supposed to see just what I mean. I could do this all year myself but given that it's not everybody's thing I'm a bit reluctant to bust your chops with it. Still: here we are. I haven't broken the chain! I've seen this thing through! I am now free! Thanks!

A. B. Chairiet said...

RockenH: I'll check it out. Thanks for thinking of me, and tagging me. :)

Bee: I'd love to email with you. :)

Might be a bit sporadic till June,
when everything should be more calm; more than May has been, so hence my not being around.

But I'm so glad you're writing on that other blog again! I think side-blogs are a great way to open up different parts of your head.

...

I’m rambling, and rhyming. Running fever. Going to bed.

Happy Memorial Day,
Love,
~ Ash

Brian said...

Dear Ash,
I haven't been here in a while, though I still think of you more often than not.....

This morning I came back. To read your beautifully poignant words left behind. They still bring tears to my eyes....even more now, I think, than before. Because you're gone from me.

But. I am grateful that you've left these memories for me and whoever else wants to wander in now and then....

Sitting here in my quiet home, the stillness settles in as I read. And I cry a silent tear for you.....

I'll send you a note from "our" blog a little later. When I return from the dentist.

I hope you and your little one are well.

I'll talk to you soon, and I hope you'll hear me.....wherever you may be....

Love always,
Brian