Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It was just a dream

(Green shoes and holy jeans)

I had a strange day yesterday. I didn't feel like myself. I tried to wake up to work on my project, or at least get online, but I couldn't move an inch of my body from the fluffy white biscuit, otherwise known as my bed.

It took too long to fall asleep Monday night. I read Huck Finn, and talked to a friend, and cried to a friend. He talked about his job. I talked about the contest. We talked for hours, and I finally fell asleep. Woke up and couldn’t move. Too tired. Too mentally exhausted 'cause I actually found time to do a bit of editing on Monday, but now it's Tuesday morning...I hear Baby Girl. I sip coffee. She fusses 'cause I’m sitting on the couch with the cup of coffee instead of playing with her, or going into the office, but Mommy has no work today. We're going shopping! Baby Girl is delighted. I finish my coffee and take another bath and she stands on the tub ledge and watches.

We get dressed and dance to Belle & Sebastian till it's time to leave, to go out to eat, and stuff ourselves silly on shrimp, French fries, ketchup, and root beer from a glass bottle so sweaty it nearly slips from my hand when I pour it.

We go to Wal-Mart. I push the buggy as fast as I can, and she squeals so happy, people look at us and smile.

I buy her a couple of cheap toys. Lots of groceries.

We come home. It's raining. We put everything away and lay around till it's time for her bath. I clean up her toys and her messes in a robotic blur. Finally, she's wrapped up in blankets, and falling asleep as I sing Twinkle, twinkle walking backwards from her room.

In my own room, I take another bath. Three in twenty-four hours doesn't make you crazy; it's a delayed reaction, and your stress is bubbling over. It's making you filthy. Better scrub. Better clean. Better wash and bathe again. Better go to bed so you can wake up and write or read or do something. ANYTHING! But first you got to sleep...

I wasn't sleepy. I wandered around, and wrote for two hours.

It was midnight when I finally crawled beneath the covers. The rain had started back; off and on all day, and into the night, which was now a new day, since it was midnight. I listened as it henpecked the tin of my trailer; the walls and the roof. It dripped down from the gutters onto my window beside me. I closed my eyes, and tried not to think of anything; of writing or reading, the project, contests, deadlines, Baby, outlines, plotlines, characters, overpasses, no sex, no supper, too much bathing, cleaning, no work tomorrow either, and what will I do? I could get online, and write the millions of emails I've been meaning to write. Get in touch with people I miss, and I know they're getting tired of me, always being distant or quiet or not here at all. And the rain gets heavy, and the rain lightens up. When it's light, the gutter sounds louder, and I'm cussing myself, I hate you Ash! Shut the puck up, and go to sleep, you little God damn child, and who cares about your writing, your blog, or what you're doing tomorrow? Why don't you go to a library in another town, look for that book you want to read, and stretch out on a couch and maybe your soul mate will come along and see you on the couch, and ask you what you're up to? Why you're all stretched out? You'll tell him how it was raining, and you couldn’t sleep...I'm pulled from this almost dream by the splish-splash on the window, so loudly now, like an old man's outside, tapping the glass, Please let me come in.

I tell the old man No for fear he'll sneak into my kitchen and steal all the spoons.

I walk into the bathroom and pace about the floor, contemplating another rub of soap on my hands, and no, I'll go to the kitchen and check on the spoons. I wash my hands three or four times. Make a bowl of soup. Sit on the couch and watch American Beauty till it’s four in the morning, and I still haven’t slept.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
Being pulled in so many directions ....so many things floating around in your head worries of tomorrow and what it will bring...sleep stays away when we think and feel so much...how do we just make everything go away and put it on a shelf to be forgotten so we can fall off to dream? The night brings back all the worries and thoughts that we beat down during the day...they rise up one by one and won't go away. At least bathing is one little gift you can give to yourself...a moment of pure indulgence to cleanse away all those fears and regrets...just for a few moments...

Take care my sweet, may your dreamsleep return tonight...soon...

Brian

Daibh said...

Great post, lots in there. I loved this...

and root beer from a glass bottle so sweaty it nearly slips from my hand when I pour it.

and really loved this...

I listened as it henpecked the tin of my trailer; the walls and the roof.

I'll listen to Sonic Youth's "Rain On Tin" in honor of that hapless, henpecked metal!

Great stuff, Ash, as ever.

Anonymous said...

"... and steal all the spoons." How do you do it? That's so tame and potent all at the same time.

Ah, Lee...

Kimberley McGill said...

Your writing always enchants me - I hope some sweet dreams find you soon.

Chad said...

This is a great entry.

(I found your site today after you left a comment on mine and I'll certainly be stopping by in the future - your writing is wonderful.)

FiL said...

If the old man steals any of your spoons, let me know. I have some to spare. :-)

Unknown said...

Fall asleep quickly and easily. Dermasleep’s property formula incorporates all natural and non-habit forming ingredients. Melatonin is known to induce drowsiness and deepen sleep. L-Theanine and 5-HTP are known to create a state of relaxation optimal for sleeping. Visit the site www.dermasleep.com for more detail about the product.

Daibh said...

Sock away the spoons, Ash! Looks like some serious storms are coming, but maybe you already know that. Be safe!

Anonymous said...

love to see the posts, Ash. Good stuff.

enjoying the continuity amongst threads with the cleaning/OCD thing. Good reading. On the other hand, I'm not sure how your house, hands or body are taking it all...

Hugs and Happy Friday, Heidi

Colin said...

"We get dressed and dance to Belle & Sebastian..."

Er, is there any other way to get dressed?

I think not.

:)

Happy Friday Ash.x

Gary said...

I loved this post. Very poetic.

Mimey said...

I frequently wish I had the confidence and self belief to take the number of baths I need in a day. Sometimes it is more than one, but I'd feel way too decadent giving in to need ;-)

A. B. Chairiet said...

Jemima: Feeling decadent can be a good thing. :)

...

Gary: Thank you. :)

...

Colin: Happy Friday to you too. :)

...

Heidi: I'm so glad you enjoyed the reading...my house takes it well. My hands and body, not so much.

Hugs to you. :)

...

Davey: Thanks. I was worried about you too.

...

Andrew: No thank you.

...

FiL: Thanks. I'll let you know if he steals any. ;)

...

Chad: Thank you. I like your writing too. :)

...

Kimberly: Thank you. Same to you. :)

...

RockenP: You write better than I do. :)

...

Davey: Thank you. :)

...

Brian: Thank you. :)

...

Good Friday!
~ Ash

Unknown said...

I've not been in for a while but I wanted to answer a question you posed...

'who cares about your writing, your blog, or what you're doing tomorrow?'

Answer - Me, everyone else who left a comment and hundreds of others.

Hope the insomnia has crept away.