Sunday, February 11, 2007

Where do you go to hide from yourself?

Me, last Monday.

What a God awful weekend. Yesterday was horrible. Gray skies, and cold wind, and no wonder I haven't taken my child for a walk since Tuesday.

We bundled up, and ventured out, though. She discovered the rake, and I suppose I discovered it too, considering the fact I forgot we even owned one. She went to sweeping up leaves and dragging 'em around. Sticking the metal teeth into big holes all scattered about the soft yard.

Don't hurt yourself, I said a million times.

She ignored me, and said, I got it, Mommy. I can do it!

And went about her raking, as I eventually ignored her too, getting lost in my own messy head.

I wish I could shrink myself down, along with the rake, and get to work on all the papers flying around in there. I'd make a big pile for burning, though I don't suppose lighting a fire in your head would be wise, and Baby Girl would probably just tromp through it before I could get it lit.

So instead of shrinking and burning, or distracting my child from her newfound talent, I started thinking of game plans, as far as writing is concerned. It's the same battle-with-myself as it has been for nearly a year now: "I want to write a blog. No, I should write a novel. What about a short story. God knows I need to edit. Why don't I try to get published. And I need to write letters. I need to clean house. I need to pay bills..." [Giant explosion goes off in Ashley's head].

Back inside, I did all the stupid things I'm supposed to do, even on a Saturday night, and wouldn’t it be nice to actually have a date. Or do something fun. Something creative!

No, I cooked and cleaned, and put Baby Girl to bed around nine-thirty. I went to my room and ran a bubble bath, complete with music, a knife (in case someone breaks in), a notebook and an ink pen. I thought I might try writing in the tub.

I didn't work.

My notebook got wet, and then I was sadder than I was before. Sat crying in this mountain of bubbles; trying so hard to pretend someone was standing there near the counter just to cheer me up, but I couldn’t. I'm too lonely. Like getting so sleepy you can't even sleep. You pass a certain point, and then you're overtired.

I'm overlonely.

I just wish I could figure it all out, and stop being so damn childish and jealous of everyone else who has time and energy for their own wants and needs at the end of the day. Or at the beginning.

How am I supposed to get it all done, and be happy with myself?

I climbed into bed and called a close friend. I nibbled on crackers, and flipped through the channels (Yes, I finally put a TV in the bedroom, despite my better judgment). I told him how I worked all day, but didn't even come close to getting everything done, and I had to get some sleep so I could wake up and write. How my writing has turned to crap considering the fact I didn't write at all (or very little) over those stupid six weeks, and was so scared if I didn't put something decent on this blog, I'd lose all my friends because why would they want to read a poorly-written blog? I'm so scared they'll all hate me anyway.

This is when my friend started yelling at me, which I obviously deserved.

I listened, crying on my pillow, watching a Ladybug crawl up and down the wall as I interjected the occasional "Yes, I know. I'm crazy."

After he finished his rant, he became very patient again, and started listing all my faults and how to fix them.

I love friends like this. They see things I can't. Like a writer reading someone else's work. I'll catch every single mistake you make, but in my own story, I continue reading what I think I’ve written versus what is actually on the page.

He says I'm just paranoid. And nobody hates me. And if I don't have time for everything, prioritize, and don't feel guilty or selfish. And people won't quit being my friend just because my writing is bad.

Didn't they stick around while you were gone? he asked. You act like they didn't.

In my own head, I'm so scared people regret sticking around (not only here, but in my real life too) . That they should leave, and that's why I sometimes act as if they already have.

He told me to stop thinking like that, and to quit crying. Go to bed. Wake up and make some time for yourself.

Which I just did. But now I'm off to get dressed and go to Wal-Mart by myself. Thank God! I need a vacation from my child and this house, and the sun's finally out for the first time since Tuesday.

I only wish I could shake the feeling that a million other things have gone undone and unsaid, both offline and on, and how does everyone do everything for everyone? Especially themselves.

11 comments:

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I like the bit about bathing with something to defend yourself with. I read mostly male writers and sometimes forget the unsubtle differences between the two sexes, especially when we are alone.

FiL said...

Don't hurt yourself, I said a million times.

Hah! I say that at least two million times a day, half to Darling Daughter, half to Little Man. They still manage to hurt themselves. ;)

How does everyone do everything for everyone?

Simple. They can't, and don't. Just take care of yourself and Baby Girl, all else will follow. Prioritize - that's good advice, indeed.

You know, you can always tell you have a real friend when you can just pick up right where you last left off, regardless of how long ago that was. So by that criterion, looks like you have quite a few friends...

Hope your week kicks off right proper, then gets only better and better...

P.S. Dana International has nothing on you!!!

Brian said...

Hi Ashley,
I'm so glad you're back, but don't worry if you need a break now and again. If only just to figure out what you do need in your life. And if you find that you miss writing here and the friends that care for you, well, you'll find that out, won't you? I think we'll be here as long as you want us to be. If you ever get to the point that you no longer need to come here to express yourself, well that's your decision to do what's right for you. You don't owe me/us anything. What you give you give from your heart. And that is very special. Thanks for coming back.

Brian

Brian

Gary said...

Your friend is right. Nobody hates you.

By the way, that is a great picture. You look very mysterious. You should use that for the dust jacket of your book.

Daibh said...

Great portrait, Ash. One among many, but this one is rock star quality!

As for getting things done, make lists. It's stupid and simple and unglamorous, but it gets things done.

At root, go for a daily to-do list, and get everything done. At week's end, you've gotten things done, whereas if you're at the front end of a week and contemplating everything, you're left spinning your wheels.

It's like writing 500 words a day, every day -- not much on the face of it, but in a year, that's over 182,000 words!

Make lists, and stick to them. One step, one thing, at a time. Not romantic, not fancy, but effective.

Mimey said...

Overlonely, I like that, well, I hate it, but I like that you've described it. The point at which I've been so in need of companionship for so long that I'm utterly useless in company and drive everyone away. Well that's what I think. Life's tough for everyone, we're all just trying, not beating yourself up over what you have and haven't managed makes it much easier to manage more, but it's easier said than done.

Anonymous said...

Yes, overlonely is quite catchy.

Ash, you are struggling with what me and millions others do -- getting from A to B, getting things done, but more importantly getting the IMPORTANT things done. Tricky business since life is so full of unimportant things that require our time and attention. I find to-do lists semi-helpful. I used to love them. Being a single working mom is no easy feat, and finding time for yourself and your dreams/goals is no doubt difficult. I find my biggest barrier is fear and that fear paralyzes me from doing anything. Fear of inadequacy, fear of failure OR not the level of success I had hoped for (and these are often times different), fear of non-perfection, fear of not saying the right thing. Once I overcome fear that causes me to no longer move forward, but stagnate, I'm usually able to complete the to-do list.

A. B. Chairiet said...

Mr. Beer N. Hockey: I also sleep with a knife by the bed. I know it sounds nutty, but it makes me feel safe. :)

...

FiL: "They still manage to hurt themselves."

I know. Baby Girl hurt herself Monday night. It was awful! :(

"Prioritize - that's good advice, indeed."

If only I could follow it.

"You know, you can always tell you have a real friend when you can just pick up right where you last left off"

I'm always scared people won't want to hear from me if it's been too long. Like too much time has passed, and the moment's over.

Thank you so much for the well-wishes. And for the compliment. :)

...

Brian: "And if you find that you miss writing here and the friends that care for you, well, you'll find that out, won't you?"

Exactly. That's why I like blogging more than writing a novel...I miss my friends, and get lonely.

"I think we'll be here as long as you want us to be."

Forever it is, then. :)

...

Gary: Thank you! :)

I just hope I get a dust jacket someday...I won't be too particular about which picture they use. ;)

...

Daibh: Thank you for the compliment, and the great advice!

I know you're right.

Making list really help. :)

...

Jemima: "The point at which I've been so in need of companionship for so long that I'm utterly useless in company and drive everyone away."

Exactly! And I don't know how to deal with it when they don't "drive away". I'm so scared they'll leave on their own...

"Life's tough for everyone, we're all just trying"

I know...I try to remind myself of that.

Tis why I feel so selfish.
...

Heidi: "Tricky business since life is so full of unimportant things that require our time and attention."

I know...there's things I WANT to do, things I NEED to do, things I HAVE to do, and I can never remember which ones are important and which ones aren't.

They all seem important, and that's why my head explodes. ;)

"I find to-do lists semi-helpful. I used to love them."

I used to love 'em too, and then I'd get so sad at the end of the day when less and less things were checked off.

"I find my biggest barrier is fear"

Me too...

Thank you so much for the wonderful insight. :)

...

Happy Valentine's Everyone!

Love,
~ Ash

Unknown said...

I'm late here.

Don't be scared that anyone who comes in here will ever switch-off.

It's impossible to improve on the words used and sentiments expressed above by Brian.

If the magic flows through the fingertips, we'll love reading it. If it stops flowing for a while, then so be it. We just have to be patient and understanding.

I think all of us are.

Ctelblog said...

"I only wish I could shake the feeling that a million other things have gone undone and unsaid, both offline and on, and how does everyone do everything for everyone? Especially themselves."

We've all been there. You can't do everything for everyone. Don't even try. You'll burn yourself out or send yourself mad. It ain't possible. You need to understand what you can do and what you can't do. Then decide which of the things you can do are things you have the capacity to do and are worth doing.

Feels like this:

http://ependyparent.blogspot.com/2007/02/dance-of-mad-feet-on-heat.html

A. B. Chairiet said...

JC: I think most of you are...and the rest left a long time ago. ;)

Thank you, though, for your kind and thoughtful words.

...

Ctelblog: You're exactly right. :)

Thank you for the link.