Wednesday, December 20, 2006

These aren't normal times


It's no good mood that brings me here this morning. It's not alcohol either, so at least there's that.

My good mood lasted all of one day. Maybe a day and a half. Come Saturday night, all was still decent, so we might as well call it two days. The two days in December Ash was happy. Oh, and the first day of December. That was nice too.

If I was happy more often, though, I wouldn't remember it. It would all just blur, and I'd be ungrateful. This way, I can keep track of it.

Again I haven't been here in a while. I feel like I should have that permanently tattooed to my sidebar...Hi, my name's Ashley Chairiet, and even though I used to be a hardcore blogger and considerate reader and friend, I now disappear often and for long stints. I have a decent enough excuse though. A few excuses. We all do this time of year, though I remember last year distinctly...sitting here at my desk, writing away, so happy to be back to blogging after writing that God awful novel, and sad over the fact that everyone else was so busy with the holidays. I was here on Christmas morning. Writing a short story.

My current writing life is unsatisfied.

The rest of my life is overran. A strange combination of inactivity, yet being ten times as busy, what with Christmas. All the shopping now complete. Though my bank account isn't too fond of me. I imagine the people who provide my utilities won't be too fond of me either, not until I pay my bills in January. Which is the breaks. If I had it my way, I'd only give Baby Girl and my parents and my sister and my grandparents a present, and just make cards, and hug and kiss everyone else. I can't afford these big stupid Christmases. I have to buy gifts for all my cousins up north. Draw names at my aunt's house, and trade presents there. And then there's the babies, which I actually don't mind buying for. I'm a sucker for the toy department. The baby aisles. All those cute and snuggly squeaky toys, with mirrors, buttons, little plastic eyes and smiling faces. Those metal keys in back you wind-up to play music. Tinkling lullabies making you cry for the lack of another child.

I feel so alone this time of year. The end of one and the beginning of another, and Christmas, stupid Christmas, for the love of Jesus, I care, and try my best to stay happy, and keep it all in focus. How it's his birthday: let's give presents, and visit. Eat good food. Look at bright lights. Stay up late watching It's a Wonderful Life after my child goes to bed, and maybe, just maybe, Jimmy Stewart will make me realize I’m lucky to be alive.

Remind me of that in January when I‘m stressed out over debt. In February, when I’m lonely on Valentines. In March, when I'm sick due to pollen. In April, when I'm drunk. In May, when I’m mad at myself for not finishing Noah (May is my make-believe deadline). June, I'll be drunk. July, I'll be crazy (July isn't kind to me. Neither is December). August, I'll decide to come back to bloggging after I surely take the summer off to revel in the aforementioned craziness. September, when I'm selfish and write a bunch of stories no one will ever read. In October, I'll be twenty-four. How depressing. In November, I'll write a third novel, and wonder if it's possible for me to write a novel without the pressure of NaNoWriMo. Finally, in December, I'll be sad again, and have nothing to save me but the sight of George Bailey. Maybe that will be enough to propel me through the next year and the next.

It's worth a try, and on my schedule. I'll squeeze it in somewhere between now and New Year's Eve.

Another reason I haven’t been here: My computer's tricky. I was here for an hour or two on Sunday morning, and for no reason at all, the damn thing crashed. I couldn’t get it to come back on. I haven't been back since. Not even to work. I have a nice pile over there, awaiting my attention, but it's better to leave it be, then possibly lose it should the damn thing go out again at an inopportune time, say while entering unsaved data (or for my own personal sake, while writing). So word of a new computer has reached me: a laptop, which delights me! I'll admit. I'm about ready to take a hammer to this one, and then I'll be set up with the freedom to work from anywhere in the house. On the couch, at the bar. In the floor. In the bed. I would write so much more if I didn’t always have to be in this office. I get so tired of sitting here in order to work, write, and socialize. With the laptop, I wouldn’t be faced with this damn uncomfortable chair. With the thought of spending one more second in this tiny room just to get online for a while. Instead, at night, I could just curl up naked and write, read, blog myself to sleep. Get up and go outside, and write my novels on the deck at sunrise. Work in whatever room my daughter wants to play in. We'd be happier. Me, more active...

Yes, computer, please die!

My internet connection has also been tricky. It takes ten minutes to connect.

I’ve spent a lot of time cleaning house. Two days shopping. Despite being sick. Cooking. Baking treats for a certain Baby Girl who is quite excited about the whole Christmas deal. She smiles and says, "Santa Clause coming! Chrisp-miss. Chrisp-miss. New toys in office!"

Tis where I keep them. The big pile of goodies here beside me.

As soon as I wrap them, and have my house in a decent state (I like to start each new year with every room cleaned, and cleaned out), I should be around a bit more often. And hopefully I’ll be all caught up on work, and then on my writing. Perhaps I’ll even be blogging from the comfort of my own bed. All warm and nestled between the sheets. I’m sure that will improve my mood. I am allowed to drink again, but for whatever reason, I don’t think I will.

28 comments:

Daibh said...

Ash -- sorry you've got the blues. I think there's bad karma in the cosmos right now or something. It's been pretty dire up north, too. Bad news, worse news, bad mojo, rotten vibes, the works. I was awake in bed one night, full of writerly lamentations.

Things always get better, until they get bad again, and then get better. On and on, a waltz with Fortune, and she always leads, steps on your toes when she's not blowing you fickle kisses. Fortune's a cruel mistress, for sure; I'd settle for Lady Luck; I've had my share of bad luck. I want some good luck for once! Lucky 2007, maybe? Maybe? For both of us, I hope.

I loved the green; I did that trick myself with my X-mas lights and a camera, but yours, with the green, makes it look like you're being buzzed by angry green fairies. I love that picture, will make it my wallpaper!

Unknown said...

Ash - I don't think it matters if you don't come in every day. It is always a joy to be able to share your thoughts whenever they are posted.

daibh is soooooo correct. Things get better, then get bad etc etc etc. I started a blog as recently as September to help me through a sticky time. It has been a huge help.

But I'm really sorry to learn that you're feeling down right now. I do hope it is very very temporary.

Merry Xmas to you from a fan on the other side of the Atlantic.

As I say to everyone I most admire in blogworld - more power to your fingertips.

Gary said...

I agree that you are a very sporatic blogger, but that is ok. Blog when you feel like it. In my opinion, you have one of the best blogs around.

I hope your mood picks up soon.

Dan said...

Oh Ash, I'm so sorry to hear how you're feeling. I wish I could give you a gigantic hug. I'm thinking about you, OK? People care.

I haven't been around the last week either, because my dad died on Friday. We're pulling through.

Love to you and yours, Dan

Brian said...

Hey Ashley,
I wish that things were going better for you. This time of year can be hard. I hope you find some peace and happiness this season. My thoughts are with you.

I remember your George Bailey imitation last year. Running through blogerland wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. That was so nice to get that little message of joy spread to all your friends.

If I don’t check back until after Christmas, I hope you and baby girl get to share a nice cozy, warm and wonderful holiday together.

Love, Brian

Mimey said...

Hi Ash, I've nothing much to say, hope you're feeling ok-er than you were at the time of writing, but at this time of year we're all supposed to be exhausted and stressed out by spending money on people we don't like. I'm so cynical, sorry.

And I'm sure some of your prediction could come true, but you never know what's around the corner, or how marvellous next year's craziness could be. You're too young to be so tired.

Have a wonderful Christmas, well try your best and don't be hard on yourself if it turns out less than fine, and, oh just smile :-)

Love, Mimes XXX

Daibh said...

And Merry Christmas, Ash (soon). :)

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

There is a Christmas poem at http://www.radicalpress.com you might like. Have a smashing Christmas ABC.

Anonymous said...

Merry merry, Ash. House cleaning, shopping, baking and what-not here as well. I need to do more baking but my hips can't take it :O And after reading your post, I think I need to plan to do more cleaning :) Thinking of you and BG. Heidi

Anonymous said...

I miss my old friend.
I've bbeen trying to get you to come and see my blog, but alas, you're MIA :).

Merry Xmas.

Santa (dee)

Brian said...

Hey Ash,
Just wanted to stop by to say hello and let you know I’m thinking about you. I hope things are ok with you. Don’t feel bad if you need to take a break, sometimes we just need to stay away for a while and you needn’t feel guilty for doing what you need to do.

Take care of yourself and your little one and I hope you have a great New Year. I’ll be drinking a toast to my southern belle…….so you have that going for you ;-)

Your friend above,
Brian

Bathroom Hippo said...



I'm probably the last person you want to see here...

Happy New Year Sweetheart!

I hope 2007 finds you well.

claireylove said...

I'm just popping by to say hi as I haven't been around for a while. And I think the laptop is a FABULOUS idea - mine has brought me MUCH joy since July.

Sending love to you through the good times and the bad

love bb x x x x x

Daibh said...

Happy New Year, Ash (for real, now, since it's 2007!) Good luck this year, in everything.

~D

camera shy said...

everyone who takes writing serioulsy has to deal with the anxiety that goes with it. it is hard to exhibit oneself and not feel shame, angst, anger, pride, and vulnerbility all at the saem time. the days where we don't feel it are porbably the days we really arent digging deep enough, the days where we arent writing interesting work.

embrace the range of self loving/loathing that comes with writing. it will be your greatest strength

Anonymous said...

Ash - Happy New Year! Hope to see you around soon. I've been wondering how your Christmas (well, probably more BG's than yours---) & New Year's was. Can't wait to see what 2007 brings you and me both :)

Heidi

Colin said...

Hi Ash, I've been drinking cheap champagne and thinking about 2007 and what it bring for you, for me, for everyone... So, as we say in Scotland, "Lang may yer lum reek" - it's nothing rude, don't worry. It just means 'I hope your fire keeps burning'. Lots of good wishes for 2007 - to you and those close to u. And, a toast, 'to love and happiness forever'! (as Alex says in the Edinburgh-based film 'Shallow Grave').
x
PS, we miss u. come back soon.x

magiceye said...

that was a lot of wandering....
hope it made you feel better....

Daibh said...

These realy aren't normal times. Ash, where are ya?

Anonymous said...

ABC -- you out there somewhere? Don't tell me we gotta come all the way South to find you... :O

I miss you and your words. Hope you and BG are well.

Heidi

Mimey said...

ASHY WHERE ARE YOU?

Miss you, sweetheart, :-(

J xxx

FiL said...

Sigh, Every day I drop by, hoping to see you're back. Just sayin' is all... :(

Anonymous said...

Ditto here -- sending out SOS for you Ashley. Please let us know you are OK. Heidi

Daibh said...

Definitely ditto here. Please be okay, Ash. And let us know that you're okay, okay?

Anonymous said...

Got word today - Ash is OK for those of you checking here almost daily like me. She sent me an e-mail this morning. Whew...I think Arkansas only gets ISP access every other month as of 2007 or something like that ;) ha JUST KIDDING ASHLEY! :) Hopefully she'll be back here soon. She had an unexpected absence from here from the sounds of it. She will be relieved to see so many of her online friends hadn't written her off for lost!
Heidi

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Thanks Heidi.

Daibh said...

Yay, Ash! Welcome back!

A. B. Chairiet said...

Daibh: Thank you! :)
...

Mr. Beer n. Hockey: Thank you for thanking Heidi. :)

...

Heidi: Thank you for updating everyone. :)

...

Daibh: Okay. ;)

...

Heidi: I'm okay. :)

...

FiL: I'm back now...but I hope you still drop by every day. :)

...

Jemima: I'm here. :)

And I miss you too.

...

Heidi: Thank you.

I missed you too.

...

Daibh: No, they weren't normal...but at least things are better now.

...

MagicEye: Nice to meet you.

...

Tristesse: Thank you.

I hope you enjoyed your champagne. :)

...

Heidi: Thank you. Happy New Year to you too! :)

I'll post Christmas photos soon.

...

Camera Shy: It's nice to meet you. Thank you for the advice. :)

...

Daibh: Thank you! Good luck to you too. :)

...

BB: Sending love to you too. :)

..

Hippo: Thank you. Happy New Year to you too. :)

...

Brian: Thank you. :)

...

Dan: Thank you. And I'm so sorry about your father.

...

Gary: Thank you. :)

...

JC: Thank you. It's nice to meet you. :)

...

Daibh: I'm glad you loved the green. :)

...

Happy Monday, everyone!

Love,
~ Ash