Friday, December 15, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Welcome to my street


This week's prompt is to write a poem about a street. I kept that in mind as I wrote this little piece of self-abusing poetry sometime late Wednesday night.

And to beat the bad rap of skeptic, for once I didn’t fake it.

Though perhaps I should have.

Hate Street

Nobody hates me
as much as I hate me
Please hate me
As I hate me
Hating to hate me
I hate the word hate
Hate, a thousand times more
a million times over!
I can't stop thinking, Hate
I can't stop saying
I scream it in my own head
my own ears
I hate
I make no sound at all
yet I hear it still
I see it like a blinking clock no one bothered to reset
after the power went out
a horrible storm
surge
I can't keep time
Perpetual midnight
I hate I hate I hate I hate
me
living here on Hate Street
in a three story high rise
overlooking the hate.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

Forgiveness darling! I wish you much forgiveness. Happy Holidays.

Rethabile said...

You're upset, aren't you. But the season is for much joy. The emotion you portray is palpable.

Anonymous said...

Ash - for the record - jury's out on the newbies... ;) I'll elaborate elsewhere. Maybe even behind the curtain.

This poem was really exposing. I read this post before your Friday post (if that doesn't reveal a bit about me and my need to go in order -- honestly ;) ) and it flowed that way. Made a great read for the Fri post.

Also, love this photo. I'm still thinking the snaps you take would make a nice collection type of book -- a potential 2nd career of sorts :) (you know-- may pay the bills while the gaping holes are being filled elsewhere for future publication) :) Just promise to come all the way North for a signing of either the snaps book or the novel, obkb?
Have a great weekend.
Heidi