Thursday, October 12, 2006

Poetry Thursday: In the News; America! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider...)

When you write a poem, I know the words. I know the sounds. Before you write it down.

Today's prompt for Poetry Thursday is to pick up a magazine or watch the news, and magically become inspired! by...what? I have no idea. The news depresses me, and rightly should. I'll just write a poem about something else, thank you. How about...[Ash thinking]...Sufjan! Yes, Sufjan. I'm listening to him now, and why not an ode to my future husband?

A Man to Love Me

On the lakes of Canada
you sing my name
your banjo by your side
strumming harder
faster
rowing to the borderline

Swim across Lake Michigan
where morning comes in Paradise
for those children of the dead
you stop and sing a while
to lift their weary heads!

You drive through Illinois
‘til the avalanche buries you
and all is silent as you see
you've made a lot of mistakes
to be alone with me

What did you leave?
on that beautiful lake
your banjo in its black case
sprinkled with snow
like delicate lace

You look for my face
down in Arkansas
as you fly across the land
like the Lord God bird
all delighted people raise their hands!

Swarmed by your fans
I'm pushed aside
in the airport, near the plane you'll ride
when you leave again
to the lake, to hide

You find me and smile
Oh Ashley! you sing
I ask, What took you so long?
I got buried, you say
but I thought of a song

With no banjo to play?
I hold your hand as we fly
back north to the place
where your love lies
along with your case

You take me out on the lake
and play as I row
singing, Chicago
‘til we smile and make love
beneath the Fall sun
where all things go

You had to find it
buried in snow

3 comments:

Daibh said...

Cool verse, Ash, as always.

Brian said...

Ash,
Very beautiful...what great images...I love it!

Brian

A. B. Chairiet said...

Thanks, guys! :)