Thursday, September 7, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Am I Blue

It's not actually Poetry Thursday at all. It's Monday, September Eleventh. So I'm just now posting this...I was too busy, and not online.

The theme for this/that week is/was to write about the color blue.

To let it inspire you...

I'm actually much more inspired by the color green, but for the sake and spirit of Poetry Thursday, I closed my eyes, and saw fiction. Bad fiction, but here it is:

Baby Blue

You wake me in morning
running your hand
along the painted wall
made of wooden planks
each touched by the sun
shining through the open window
a cool breeze blowing past us
with light bathing the soft blue gloss
to shine like a front porch on the seaside
where lovers swing

Outside the window
the ocean sings to me
a sad song to amplify my memories
I rise from the bed
tied up in a gown of our green sheet
you smile at me
and take a step further
through the shadows near the baseboards
tip-toeing on hardwood floors
where footsteps once pitter-pattered

They faded so suddenly
the accident
our child running to the door
tearing the screen
to the beach, he walked
to find blue-green
the frame opening, slamming
thanks to the wind
screaming, "You’re child is gone!"
where forever, he’ll swim

The waves wash the sand
and it never gets cleaner, but it never stops trying
You place your hands on my cheek
To stop me from crying
to wipe away pain
you laugh at me
for ending up here again
here in his room, in his tiny bed
all surrounded by blue
where the sunlight creeps in

4 comments:

A. B. Chairiet said...

(Sigh)

I'll try harder this Thursday, I swear. :)

Anonymous said...

Ash - you're silly. As for my comments, I just didn't have a chance last night, but give me some time (I mentioned I was trying to catch up w/ the new posts...)

This poem created a remarkable image. I'd almost say indelible. Which I'm sure is why no comments. When you can disturb and stir to that level, I think you get a gold star or something or maybe just a good night's sleep? ;) but who can sleep when you're watching?

It's like one of those scenes you just don't want to watch, but you do because you can't seem to stop yourself. I've read it several times which seems wrong, but it's like I can't stop. Odd but indelible indeed.

Heidi

Brian said...

Hi Ashley,
I hope it’s ok to rise from the dead. I’m here you know. I haven’t gone away. Not really. It’s just that we haven’t spoken. But I’ve kept you close to my heart.

There are people that come and go in your life and barely leave a ripple. Then there are those who are like the moon and they can raise the ocean to meet your feet.

And that is what you did for me. I was alone and scared, lying naked on a beach. Hearing the waves break in the distance, but feeling disconnected with the world. And then I started feeling the warm surf lap at my feet, and you let me know that I’m not alone. That you care.

You raise the ocean.

When I read your note on my blog, it brought tears to my eyes…then when I came over here, I cried again…(and it’s kind of embarrassing when you do that at work, you know?)

I’m so happy that I found your blog again. I have so much to read and so much to catch up on. I’ll savor your words. I’ll drink them in slowly like fine cognac, because I’ve missed them so much.

I’m posting a little farther down here, because I wanted to talk to you in private a little. I don’t have access to my email at work, and though I’d rather write you a nice letter, I’m not sure when I’ll have a chance to do that.

Take care my Ashley…

A. B. Chairiet said...

I just want to say that these two comments above me here are two of my most favorite comments in a long, long time...and of course they're by Heidi and Brian: two people I thought I'd lost, and was scared I'd lost, and now they're here, and I'm thrilled. :)

***

Heidi: Thank you...I honestly thought this poem was just...not good enough, and I'm not sure if I felt that way before I posted it? I think I did...I was just so hell-bent on using the color blue, I had to really force it, and that's never good...but afterwards, yes, when no one said anything, that sort of confirmed it for me. Same thing happened yesterday...I worry so much of what other people think. That if I don't write well enough, people will leave me.

I'm glad you liked it, and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, and kind words, and support. It means the world to me.

***

Brian: It's definitely okay to rise from the dead. :)

I wouldn’t be here right now if it wasn't. ;)

I've missed you so much.

"When I read your note on my blog, it brought tears to my eyes…then when I came over here, I cried again"

I cried while reading your blog, while writing the piece for you here, and then again while reading this comment...you really move me, and always have.

"I’m posting a little farther down here, because I wanted to talk to you in private a little."

That's fine, Brian. I'm just so glad you're here! Feel free to post anything anywhere. :)

"I’d rather write you a nice letter, I’m not sure when I’ll have a chance to do that."

It's okay. I'm actually much better at writing back in forth in comment boxes...it takes a lot of energy to write those emails...those letters never sent. ;)

I want you to know: the line in your comment about me..."You raise the ocean."

That's the most beautiful and touching thing anyone has ever said to me, written about me, thought about me...it's so loving and wonderful of you to see me in such a poetic way.

Thank you, Brian.

***

Lots of love to you both.

I hope you're well. :)

~ Ash