Thursday, September 28, 2006

Oz was Lovely

Sunny Sunday, the day after the storms

It's Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I haven't been online in three whole days. Five since I last posted. Tornadoes, right? Well, thankfully that didn't quite happen. We had a few rough storms Saturday night. Wind, lightening, and extremely heavy rain, but nothing worth staying up for. I went onto bed and slept til morning. Cleaned house all day. Got drunk Sunday night. Worked on a short story. Read two blogs and wrote three pieces. Finally passed out for a few hours.

Woke up Monday and worked: I don't remember it though. I love to be hungover on Mondays! It makes it all the more forgettable. Though I do remember one thing from Monday...I finished the short story!! Out of the ten I was to write, only two were fiction, and one was actually already done from the summer: it just desperately needed a rewrite. So yes. The BIG fictional short story, the one I started from scratch is finished, and I'm happy with it. I really am. I think I'll let it "breathe" a bit, then edit, fluff, revise it. But once I'm finished-finished, and have received permission from the two fellow Bloggers I used as characters, I think I'll post it. Or try to have it published. Sure...why not. I've got to start sometime.

Monday night, after getting Baby Girl to bed, I celebrated the finishing of the big short-story by finishing off the big bottle of rum. Yes, got drunk again. Watched Bridget Jones Diary again. Stripped down to my underwear and stretched out on the couch. Wrote a bit of drunken nonsense by hand.

I went to bed and passed out til Tuesday. Had a nightmare. Woke up smiling. Decided to turn my nightmare into my next short story. I think I'll keep going, one after another, til November comes. That's the trick, right? You finish one. You get high off your own achievement. Action leads to inspiration; inspiration rarely leads to action (tis a famous quote, I think). Had busy days both Tuesday and Wednesday. Slept inbetween.

I stayed up last night (a few hours ago) taking pictures and watching Sabrina. Took a shower. Washed my hair. Felt restless for the lack of writing. Thought I'd come in here, and settle in with some hot coffee and prose. Wanted to check my email first. Post a piece or two, maybe some pictures. Of course read blogs and see friends and say hi. (I'll have to wait til Friday or the weekend, though: I'm about to fall asleep and I wish I wasn't. I miss people.)

But no, not a single tornado. Life is actually all right. Been taking long walks every day, as always, but the air is so much nicer now. Thinner. Less steam makes it easier to breathe. Less humidity. I'm loving the cool breeze. The dandelion seeds all dancing on the wind, falling like snow. The trees getting ready to change colors. It's all so romantic. I feel so creative! If only I had more time...October's almost here, and I'll be twenty-three. I want to find some balance before starting my new year.

Last night with Bogart


I'll be here writing, and hopefully all caught up within a few days to come. I hope everyone in the world is sleeping, having sweet dreams. Or nightmares, should they inspire you.

I hope September has a happy ending after all.

9 comments:

claireylove said...

i'm (not so secretly) hoping that your story is about me and Mimey. if not could you make that a future project? i guess narcissism is a terrible thing, but sometimes i'm really taken with the notion of being a muse. sounds easier than being the artist.

love the pic of you and Bogart :-)

x x x x x

Daibh said...

With stories: when in doubt, send it out! That forces a conclusion, a resolution, gets the story out the door for others' eyes, and out of your hands. Otherwise, you run the risk of endless revision.

Make the story as good as you can, and send it out! And then repeat -- lather, rinse, repeat! ;)

Mentok said...

Finished a story? Sending it to be published? Holy crap! Way to go girlie. Would it sound too patronizing to say "I'm proud of you"? I can never tell.

But you shouldn't drink so much. That doesn't sound good. Maybe it's McCourted a bit?

A. B. Chairiet said...

Mentok: "But you shouldn't drink so much."

Officially requesting no further suggestions in reference to my drinking.

I'm an adult. I will drink as much as I like. And no, this wasn't McCourted in the slightest. I don't care how it sounds to say, I drink a lot. I do. And admitting the truth always sounds better than lying. :)

I appreciate your support, and thank you for being proud of me. Tis the first story I've finished in quite a while.

...

Daibh: Thanks for the advice.

Lather, rinse, repeat...lovely metaphor! Made me smile. :)

Like washing hair... ;)

...

BB: You know what? You and Mimey are actually in the one I'm working on now! The nightmare piece...I cast you in it yesterday while trying to think of "cool girls to hang out with".

You two automatically came to mind. :)

You make a great muse. Talented, beautiful.

Right now, we're all standing outside, smoking cigarettes in a parking lot.

Doesn't sound very original, but I like to start small. :)

I'm glad you like the picture of me and Bogart...I was asking him to come back to life and love me forever, but he said no, and I said, But don't you love me??

He said, I'm afraid not.

(Ashley giggling, thinking she's been writing just a bit too much fiction) ;)

...

I hope everyone's well.

Happy Friday!
Love,
~ Ash

Anonymous said...

you sound like you love fall as much as I do, Ash

here the leaves have changed already. that's what happens when you north so far ;)

Looking forward to picking up the short story one day. whenever it lands, I'm sure you'll be happy you set it free :)

Heidi

FiL said...

Hi Ash!

That is lovely news on the story - congratulations! And you're absolutely right to ride on the achievement high - ain't no-one going to suggest that's anything other than a healthy one.

*FiL does a wee celebratory dance*

I do agree with Daibh's advice to send it out. It's kinda like raising a kid: there comes a point where you need to say "I've done what I can" and let it leave the nest to fly on its own.

Er, I think I just created a horrendous simile/metaphor knot.

Lindsey said...

I hope you do decide to post it. I know we would all love to read it. Glad things are going well for you Ash. I think I'll enjoy some beer and Bridget Jones myself. :o)

Gary said...

Hi

I might have given you the impression on my blog that I don't like fiction. Actually I have always enjoyed it. And I have a tremendous respect for fiction writers. Actually, I have a lot of respect for all types of creativity. I think there is something very spiritual about creativity.

Keep on keepin on.

Mimey said...

Ride the inspiration while it's there, but don't worry if it dwindles after a time. There have to be moments when you fill up without pouring it onto the page. Otherwise you burn out. They are dperessing but shouldn't be, because they're essential.

And me smoking!! *splutters* I'm more likely to be biting my nails. As long as it's only on the page. Since yes, me and Beebers are the coolest girls you're ever likely to know ;-) Good luck!