Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11: Morning

After writing my make-up pieces for Thursday and Sunday, I put on some loud music and danced around the office here in a blue silk dress while posting photos of roses, standing up. My legs hurt from sitting all night, and the dancing and standing helped.

But then my eyes hurt, too, so I wandered into the living room to stretch out on the buttery goodness that is my fake-suede couch.

I watched part of a movie on Cinamax.

Around five, I wandered back.

Dug through the office closet for an old suitcase full of diaries, and found this:

9-11-01
10:27 pm

I'm really scared. America was attacked today...this morning, two planes crashed into the World Trade Center and another into the Pentagon. Whether it was just terrorism, or if it is the end of the world or the beginning of a war...I'm truly scared. I don't know what to think or feel. This is my generation's wake-up call...our great historical moment. I need to get my stuff together, as far as religion goes...you never know.

"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; struck down, but not destroyed...so we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

~ 2 Corinthians 4

Love Always,
Ashley


Followed by little curvy lines and hearts and other sickening decorations found most often in a seventeen year old's diary. But there you go. Piece of writing from that day itself. Five years ago today. It seems like longer, yet it seems like yesterday. I don’t want to put any more emphasis on it though. I realize the world is currently, still, and always, being ripped apart at the seams.

5 comments:

Mimey said...

My 17 year old writer me embarrasses the 30 year old me no end, but without her, there'd be no me.

These are crazy times, but I'm guessing they always were.

A. B. Chairiet said...

Yes, definitely always crazy times. Just feeling loyal, I guess. America's big day...though I can't help but think of you and your homeland. I mean, it’s been really bad there too, right? Two terrorist attacks since then??

I need to start watching the news more closely...but that depresses me.

Hmm.

Anyway...seventeen year old versions of our writerly selves: Yes, mine embarrasses me too...though my twenty-two year old version isn’t doing much better. I'm sure in a few weeks when I hit the big two-three, I'll hate the twenty-two year old Ash even more. ;)

You're right though. Without them, where would we be? :)

I hope you're well, wherever you are.

I miss you.

Happy Tuesday!
Love,
~ Ash

Mimey said...

I'm here!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Ash - love this shiny new blue blog. The feel is totally different than the deadblog. It reassures me when the new and dead feel different - like maybe it's not a circle after all and we're not hamsters running around on it.

A. B. Chairiet said...

JVS: You're real and your here...I love that you're here. Please never leave. :)

...

Heidi: I love that you love it, my dear. I love that you're here!!

I love that you don't hate me.

I'm going to write you. I've been wanting to all summer, and hearing from you now has only reminded me of that fact even more so.

"It reassures me when the new and dead feel different - like maybe it's not a circle after all and we're not hamsters running around on it."

This is what mainly inspired the piece I wrote this morning. You've become a muse!

Don't worry. I won't fall in love...;)

(Sigh)

I'll write you soon.

I hope you and your family are doing wonderful, and all is well.

...

Lots of love today...

Happy Wednesday! :)

~ Ash