Thursday, August 24, 2006

Poetry Thursday: On Time

I've seen other writers taking part in a Blogger-based program known as Poetry Thursday.

My lovely friends JVS and BB both do so, and I've always been quite jealous of them. They're amazing writers, and I'm so very glad they're here.

I want to join in. I think one of the most important parts of blogging, if not the most important part for the writerly crowd, is the feeling of mutual respect, support, and understanding you can and will hopefully receive from fellow writers.

It's a community. A writer's community, sans the hippies, and cabins, and taking to the woods ala Walden. It's more modern. And simple, in the best possible sense. It's strictly about writing, and writers, and all those pretty words...

Poetry. Yes, yes.

I wrote about that yesterday...I'm not sure why. Just trying to find some reason, I guess. Reason to be here...why am I here?? Why do I write? What do I write? How, and is it good, bad, or ugly? Do I want to share it?? Is poetry enough?

It goes on and on. Questions without answers.

I'm one of those girls who has to ask the questions, regardless of the answers, or the lack thereof.

I need to know where I stand with not only myself, but every thing and everyone. I'm a bit of a control freak. Not for the sake of being in control...just for the sake of not being out of control.

I get scared.

And that bit of childishness brings me to my very first poem o' participation in Poetry Thursday, and its lovely community of poets. (Hi!)

This week's theme is Time.

I've spent all summer writing about time. It's been a very special word since May.

I don't actually have time now, though, to write a decent poem...

But, in honor of time, and the past...I'm going to share the one single poem I ever had published. I was ten. It's called Time.

Time
Time is ticking fast away
Tomorrow, today will be yesterday
Where it goes, I cannot say
Time is ticking fast away

Ha. Not exactly genius, but it is kind of cute. Very close to my heart, at least.

So, congratulations, ten year old Ash! You got published, and I haven't. I do like your idea of time, though...

Where it goes, I still can't say.

Time is ticking fast away.

8 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


Ten year old Ash? I've woken up in the PAST!!! QUICK! Somebody start the DeLorean!

McFly, I thought I told you to leave. Oh by the way...you'll develope parkinsons disease. Sorry, man, nothing I can do about it. I guess Biff does win in the end.

Oh as for the poem...beautiful! Now excuse me as I try to go back to the future.

Left-handed Trees... said...

Your questions are ones I've been asking myself lately...your poem WAS sweet and shows quite a lot of depth of thought from a ten-year-old. God, I was probably just busy hanging from a tree or pretending my bike was a horse as I rode over the streets (don't ask...)--not yet a "published poet". Oh my...

January said...

Welcome to Poetry Thursday and to the blogosphere.

If you like this community, you should check out Sunday Scribblings, too.

Nice to meet you.

Mimey said...

Good to have you with us, honey.

8 year old me won a short story competition. I haven't lived up to my potential yet. A burden to achieve young and expect it to continue. Oh the passage of time.

Kinda advanced to be considering those bigger questions so young ;-)

Jim Brock said...

Welcome to the Poetry Thursday crowd, and yes, these are the very questions that make poetry necessary, both to write and read. Thank you for sharing and making my Thursday run a little more deeply!

FiL said...

Dearest 10-year-old Ash, it is a lovely poem indeed!!

Dearest Grown-up (or Grown-uppier, or... argh, tied myself in a lexical knot) Ash, indeed one should live the questions. I believe that's far more important and rewarding than finding the answers...

I must pay more attention to this Poetry Thursday klatsch. I do like what I've read so far!

FiL

claireylove said...

'I'm one of those girls who has to ask the questions, regardless of the answers, or the lack thereof.'

when i write poetry i never ask questions i think i can answer - what's the point in that?!!!

and welcome to poetry thursday! this is a whole shiny NEW blog isn't it? ;-)

love bb x

Aman.... said...

Hi there,
Just want to say that I read your poem and saw your pics too.As I read your work,I invite you to read mine too.There are some things that I wrote too.Have a read of them and also of my blog.Let me know your comments.

http://sharmaaman.blogspot.com/2006/08/feeling-expressed-in-some-words.html
http://sharmaaman.blogspot.com/2006/07/few-wordsagain.html
http://sharmaaman.blogspot.com/2006/05/few-words_05.html
http://sharmaaman.blogspot.com/2006/05/once-again.html
Hope you will like it.Let me know.
Nice blog and site.Keep it up.
Regards,
Aman....